Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Canadian 1 Cent - Wrong Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  11:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJBeano11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. Brand new here.. Have a couple coins I'm curious about. This one in particular looks to be a 1999 Canadian penny struck on a dime planchet. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I haven't gotten heavy into collecting, but from what I've researched, just wanted a professional opinion on if this is an incorrect planchet strike, and if I should have it sent out for professional valuation. The "penny" in question weighs 1.96g. The profile is the thinner silver one next to a normal penny to show how much thinner it is. Thanks for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1293 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's been ground down to the zinc core and soldered or put in a bezel.

Whatever it is, it didn't leave the mint that way, so not an error
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My first thought is it is a dryer coin.Not worth sending in. PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73347 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJBeano11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The solder marks are only seen on the reverse. I also don't see any distinction along the edge.. it's smooth and no separation of metals.

Is there any other valid reason at all for the kind of markings that look to be solder on the edges? Or when you see that kind of marking, you just immediately know it's a fraudulent coin?

I don't know enough about this. I know there's fraud of course in every field, this included. So if this is a "cent" on both sides, what's the value (even from a fraudulent perspective) of someone going through all the effort to grind down and solder the correct insert?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJBeano11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the perspective everyone. Coinfrog, your message was "To the CCF!" I am brand new, so I googled that and it came up with "Coin Communitee Forum". Sorry, just not sure what you're recommending. Above that line you said you agree. So you also think this is a trash coin? What does "to the CCF" mean? I was thinking maybe it meant send it a different post section here on Coin Community to get another perspective. If that's what you mean, where are you recommending I post this question? And if that means something else, what does it mean?

Are you all in agreement this coin is just a fake trash-worthy item?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1293 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does "to the CCF" mean?

Read it again...its says 'Welcome to the CCF', which is the forum you just posted your question in.

No-one knows why people fool around with coins, science experiments, jewelry, boredom, whatever.

Bottom line is that your coin did not leave the mint this way and therefore is PMD (post-mint damage)
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJBeano11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks for the insight Johnny / everyone. Have a great day guys.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6113 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....to CCF

It looks like your coin it what we call a ' dryer coin' PMD
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17008 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Not a dime planchet, it is too heavy and shows copper.
At this stage, it doesn't really matter how it happened. The fact that it could
not of happened during the striking of the coin defaults it to damage.
Learn More...
Canada
10262 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason the profile "looks" thinner, is because the rim has been ground down by abrasive wear. In fact, on the reverse (maple leaf side), you can see how the zinc rim has been deformed and pushed inward. All that happens after the coin was struck, and left the mint. All 1999 Canadian 1c coins struck for circulation were copper-plated zinc, just like the modern US cents. Also notice that all the devices, or the high points, on the coin have no copper plating left and show the zinc core; the highest points always wear first, whether it is natural circulation wear or excessive unnatural wear (as your coin shows).

It is a cool conversation piece, but it is not a mint error of any type.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: