Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Puzzled By 1982 And 1983 20 P Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 217Next Topic  
United Kingdom
31 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrmarktigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here goes with a complete novice question that might make me sound foolish! haha - Forgive me for asking but I'm totally puzzled by the large numbers of people trying to sell or auction 1982 20p circulated coins (and some 1983) for £100 GBP or more on the UK ebay site. They are listed as Rare or Very Rare in the title and description. Am I missing something? I would of thought there's millions of 'm' in circulation, even now. I have one in my pocket.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11303 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are ridiculous chancers trying to sell all sorts of really common current GB coins on eBay. If you look at 'Sold Items' you'll see that few if any of these coins actually sell, and when they do, it usually says 'Best Offer Accepted'. Some of these may be attempts at money laundering or are new e-Bayers trying to boost their feedback score by listing a valueless coin and getting friends to bid on it, with no money actually changing hands. The 1982 and 1983 20p coins, as you say, are very common and worth only face value in circulated condition. Indeed, 1982 is still the commonest date of 20p coin in circulation.

We sometimes have fun posting links to ridiculously overpriced common coins on eBay in this thread:
http://goccf.com/t/166229&whichpage=154
Edited by NumisRob
11/22/2022 4:39 pm
United Kingdom
31 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrmarktigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello NumisRob, nice to meet you mate, thanks for the info. I had a feeling it couldn't right but just wondered. Crikey! it sounds like a minefield out there. I'm a Pompey Lad here BTW hehe.
United Kingdom
31 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrmarktigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. I'll keep an eye on the that worst coins thread and maybe add some too haha
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1363 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

new e-Bayers trying to boost their feedback score by listing a valueless coin and getting friends to bid on it, with no money actually changing hands

Except for E-Bays 11% sales commission. An expensive way to get your feedback rating.
United Kingdom
31 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrmarktigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello @David Graham, nice to meet you...

They must have a very cunning plan... More cunning than a Fox, thought by a professor of cunning at Oxford or Cambridge, maybe...
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 217Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: