Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stuck With Coin Id. No Lettering. Any Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 183Next Topic  

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JWJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have no idea where to begin with this one. No lettering that I can make out. Any thoughts?

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JWJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I found it.
TARSOS (Cilicia) AE22. VF+/EF-. 175-164 BC. Club and Cornucopia.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ae...Default.aspx
Learn More...
Australia
14793 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it's from Tarsus, at the time the city was known as "Antiocheia ad Kydnum", circa 170 BC. On the obverse is a cornucopia; around it, there is (very worn on your coin) an inscription, in Greek, naming the city, and (importantly) in the fields on either side of the cornucopia, two monograms: one roughly "M" shaped, the other "theta-epsilon". On your coin, the inscription is mostly invisible but you can clearly see these two symbols. On the reverse, there is no inscription, just the Club of Hercules inside a wreath.

The third coin down on this Wildwinds page is an exact match for your coin, in somewhat better condition.

A nice find. Tarsus was the hometown of the Apostle Paul; as such, this coin can qualify as a "biblical coin", even though it was struck over a century before Paul was born there. Still, it's from a city mentioned int he Bible, so you can double the price.

And, for the budding coin identifiers reading this thread, I found the crucial help to this ID by going to ACsearch.info and typing "Greek bronze cornucopia club" into the search bar.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JWJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap. Nice description!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 183Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: