Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1797 S-121A Reverse Of '95, Plain Edge, Flip-Over Double Strike

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 680Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:12 pm Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
here is a neat coin. usually this variety is found with the gripped edge rather than the plain edge. ~90 degree rotation and a flip between the two strikes.

I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Learn More...
United States
26148 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey that is pretty cool @carr. Is that damage at 12 o'clock on the rev or do you think that happened during one of the strikes?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im uncertain. the coin isn't deformed on the other side so I think it might be a strike through. I'mánot positive. it has a similar flaw around 10 on the obverse too.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Learn More...
United States
26148 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes great point about there being no smushed metal opposite to these areas. The one on the obv looks a bit like a strike through of a small screw, where the indents from a couple individual threads are visible. Either way, they don't detract much from the overall awesomeness of this coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's one awesome coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9242 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. Thanks for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone.

i just realized I mistyped and called this a 121A. thats not right at all. this is S-120A. 121A is a much rarer coin. a 121A in this grade would be the finest known by several grade points.
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just ran into an auction lot description and it made me think of those funny indents on this coin.

here they are talking about a collar post causing that damage. I need to learn more about this but I thought I would share this interesting little twist.

lot description for the earlycents auction at the Houston Money Show towards the end of january.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 680Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: