Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 D Washington Quarter Double Struck Or Just A Dent/Metal Chips On Obverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 231Next Topic  
Valued Member

Indonesia
112 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day to all..
Wishes all the best for all of coin community members.

Here is the picture, apologize for my poor picture, still wait the chance to buy a proper camera.

This is the image from seller:

The reason I bought this Washington quarter is the 'Quarter Dollar' letter looks near to the rims.

But, when I took the picture on both obverse and reverse I saw a small chip that look like 'D' of the mint mark.

This picture were taking from different angle.

Also, there is a shadow like number '2' on the right side of '3'.

Reverse:

Many thank's for advices and help.

Regard,
Solo
Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good setup on your post! What I am seeing here is just simply circulation wear and post minting damage; nothing in these photos indicate any sort of mint error to me. Paridolia is also coming into play as that is seeing things that are not truly there.

My rule of thumb on odd looking coins such as yours is to always assume the coin is post mint damage until proven otherwise. Error-ref.com is a site many of us would recommend to observe genuine mint errors.

A double struck coin only occurs when an already struck coin somehow makes it back to the striking chamber and gets struck again with the same dies producing raised (not incuss) lettering and devices. Double struck coins are rare, but still findable if you know what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it could be a Clashed Die strike. The line under the eagle's beak looks like a clash from Washinton's neck and I see a line between the eagle's wing tip and the arrow heads that matches George's nose. Here's a clash overlay to show where you may find other clash marks.

Click on the picture for a larger image

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
Indonesia
112 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank to you @mrwhatisit for your assestment.

On the reverse under the eagle beak surface is deeper than others.

i'll take more picture in this area later.
Also will visit error.ref.com as you suggesting.

Have a good day @mrwhatisit

Regard,
Solo
Valued Member
Indonesia
112 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Yokozuna, i'll try the overlay method as you suggesting. And will post the result.

Regard,
Solo

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75213 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: