Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You Vs ICCS 1938 Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,336Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4861 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:34 am Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dropped this off at the ICCS office an hour ago.. We'll have results in a week. Til then let's see some guesses!

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 22 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
811 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS60
Edited by tripoli
11/29/2022 12:57 pm
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few nicks here and there, but the luster looks good. I'll take a swing at MS62, maybe even 63.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17352 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms-62 for me as well
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1396 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms62, great detail on the canoe. Would almost say SP, except denticles and rim on obv.could just be a really well struck coin that was beat up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2431 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
au58..... ms60 tops.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74974 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58 The signs of handling are everywhere.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4634 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU+ as well. It's been in more than a few pockets and shows only minute signs of wear, such as aft on the canoe, a little of the hair by the ear and the eyebrow.
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to these results, may finally settle the criticisms surrounding ICCS once and for all....or not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74974 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Surely this cannot have been graded MS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will , you are thinking this is a slightly impaired
Specimen ?
Certainly has strong Sharp and square obverse
dentils and devices .
Edited by Pacificoin
11/30/2022 6:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Jack. SP-63.
http://www.victoriancent.com

2011 Fred Bowman Award Winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson Award Winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca Award Winner
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1302 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing as specimen coins are Dollarman's specialty, I think Pacificoin and Bosox are right, but we'll see what ICCS says...SP-62?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1396 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The part that is throwing me is the denticles and overlap. Not sure if a specimen would have these.

The strike is very nice, love the OBV.
Edited by purelywasted
11/30/2022 6:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4861 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some good guesses..and as expected, all over the map. The coin has identical die diagnostics to specimens and has more reflectivity and rim definition than any mint state coin I've seen. Reflectivity and strike like this simply doesn't exist on pre-war dollars aside from some 1939s..and even then such a full rim is never encountered.

I am confident in the specimen status of this coin and it is quite a discovery as I did not buy it as a specimen.. meaning it represents a newly discovered example of this very rare issue. Unfortunately, she has definitely lived a rough life and in my opinion only grades around SP-62/SP-63. I think the surfaces are still there for 63 as some leniency is placed on such large coins in SP and they need to be virtually ruined to achieve a grade of SP-62 or lower. I think this piece may have been purchased in 1938 from the mint then found its way into a tin with other valuables..where it got a little beat up from sliding around unprotected then eventually got dipped once it made its way into a dealer's hands.

It's noted in the Norweb catalogue that before the Norweb SP-67 hit the market, even the existence of a gem grade example was doubted. Since that statement, there are only three above the SP-64 grade...out of 10-15 examples out there. I say all this just to clarify to those less familiar with this issue how unbelievably rare it would be to come across a coin that wasn't to some degree mishandled.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 22 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: