Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Way To Get Coins Graded

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 419Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Searcher70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi newbie from MO I need some advice getting my first coin graded and appraised can anyone help me out
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

you can get a lot of grading and appraisal opinions on this website. post pictures in the appropriate forum and someone will help you out.

im in kc. there is a once a month show here and several decent coin shops. st louis has 3 bigger coin shows a year. I'máless familiar with their coin shops.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10624 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, suggest checking in with us on the forum. Post full large and sharp pics of the obverse and reverse. From there, you'll have a better sense for how to proceed. Ultimately, it's your decision to submit a coin for grading, or not. Are you interested in preserving/enhancing the coin's future value, or are you interested in holding on to the graded coin indefinitely?
Pillar of the Community
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. If you post pics here members can give their opinions. If a coin is worth less than about $100 - $150 some think it's not worth sending in to pay for slabbing/grading. Most use the major graders, PCGS, NGC, ANACS, etc.
Edited by livingwater
11/30/2022 10:06 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Searcher70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to sell it that's what I'm checking into it's value for
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some coins have a great value as listed in the third party grader online price guides after grading a specific grade and placed into the graded holder, and for those grading a single coin might be worthwhile to send to a third party grader, or as an alternative sending to an auction house who will grade and sell but take commission. Other coins when you look up their potential values depending on the grade it receives (such as modern coins) may only have a decent value at the top grades which are not common typical finds, while the other lower grades may not hold much value. In those cases you need to weigh the total cost of grading vs the potential value of the coin after grading, and some people would also wait in those cases until they have a number of coins to grade at once since there are additional shipping fees both ways for example and can then spread that cost over more than one coin. There are also a yearly fee for the membership to send in coins to grade for NGC and PCGS, with PCGS being higher so PCGS typically is used once a person starts grading more regularly or with known higher value coins that can absorb the added cost. Anacs is cheaper to grade with no membership fee so it can be attractive in some cases when starting out, but may in some cases return less value on the sale and so people may prefer then to pay the fee for a NGC membership to start instead. As others have stated you are welcome to post photos in a new thread to get some advice on a particular coin what to do. You can find the price guide https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/ (for potential value after grading a certain grade) as well as the submit tab at top and join at top right (for membership) for fees at NGC here as one example https://www.ngccoin.com/
Edited by datadragon
11/30/2022 11:01 am
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75062 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us your coin!

to the CCF!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Searcher70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to show it I can't get my pictures to upload
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: