Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1846 Small Date Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 603Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  3:13 pm Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
can anyone help me identify the Newcomb variety of this large cent.
It has a slight repunching to the south of the 18 and a notch in the E of CENT.

Tim Hughes
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try PCGS coin facts look up Newcomb large cent on google I'm a member of PCGS and I am researching a few large cents myself but I'm New to the Hobby. Here's a few I Picked up on Ebay..

Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the first one 1856 is a N-16 slanted 5 variety, The second one is a 1852 N-6 cud obverse variety, and the third is a 1853 N-14 variety.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait for the Pillars of the community because all I found was info on three different style of dates in 1846 sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
based on how you describe it my first guess is n-1.

here is a link to the grellman book on the newman numismatic portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/586931

you should be able to figure it out from there.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks for that Grellman book he is who originally sold the three coins I posted they have his little auction ticket with them from 1989.
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats awesome! Bob is one of the sharpest people ive ever met. that is a pedigree that will age well!

here is a thread about a coin he helped identify that still impresses me.
http://goccf.com/t/431962
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.

It is a N-1
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome! glad you got it figured out!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: