Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions On Roman Constantine I Ae3 Vrbs Roma

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 360Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  4:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add snagglepuss31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I recently purchased this coin off eBay for not very much but I am questioning the authenticity. The item description was:

Quote:
Roman Constantine I AE3 Romulus Remus Siscia Mint
Approx 18mm across, struck after the death of Constantine 330-346, shows the helmeted personfication of the city of Rome on the front and Romulus and Remus sulkling a she wolf on the reverse

I just started getting interested in them and I would like to hear opinions on this coin from people more knowledgeable than me. The size is 18-19mm but the weight, 3.69g, is much heavier than anything I am seeing for similar coins.

It does not look cast to me. The details look good, the surface is not too rough and I see no seams on the edge. However, the weight bothers me.

Thanks for your opinions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several of these with different symbols above the wolf, wreath, chi-rho. Yours looks legit to me, good detail. The higher weight is due to the nice large flan. These are usually around 16mm to 17mm, but some smaller, some larger.

I buy on ebay but as you know be careful, there are fakes. Buy from dealers you learn to trust and those who allow returns. There are other places to buy ancient coins like Vcoins, MA Shops, online auctions biddr, sixbid etc.
Edited by livingwater
12/09/2022 8:08 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snagglepuss31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Livingwater, I appreciate your opinion and advice. This coin was only $18 so there was not much risk. I mostly look at NGC slabbed coins on eBay because of the potential for fakes. The bulk of my ancients were won/purchased from CNG auctions.

Thanks again.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking around I do see a high of 3.20 grams so your weight is high at 3.69 grams, but it does look quite real as well of course. Could just be a one off heavy flan was struck.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snagglepuss31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking around I do see a high of 3.20 grams so your weight is high at 3.69 grams, but it does look quite real as well of course. Could just be a one off heavy flan was struck.

This is what I found too and why I had questions about the coin. From looking at online listings the average weight for the coin is about 2.7 grams. Therefore, this coin is almost 1/3 heavier than what you would expect. After some more research I found this article posted on academia.edu by Shawn Caza:

Weight, Fineness and Diameter Standards for Late Roman Bronze Coins - A Tutorial
https://www.academia.edu/41222962/W...s_A_Tutorial

He lists the range for AE3 size coins as 1.5 - 4 grams. So Roman quality control was not all that precise and my coin is within this range.

Thank you louisvillekyshop for your input.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: