Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913-S 25c - Wisdom Of Selling Many At Once

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 480Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  7:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1913-S is a key date in the Barber quarters, with the lowest mintage but more survivors than the famous 1901-S. I regularly check Heritage for their quarter offerings, and recently was struck by the number of 1913-S quarters up for auction. 16 of them!

They're spread out over three auctions, ranging from G6 through MS66+ CAC. I can't say for sure, but it seems like someone is dumping their stash. Is it smart to sell them all at once like this, or better to trickle them out? It's about the same number as Heritage has sold all year so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Heritage's position, trickling them would be best. Flooding the market with a scarce coin will only make the prices go down quickly, losing profit for the seller. I don't think 16 coins will affect the price at all. There are 53 1913 S quarters on ebay right now. So it won't make a difference either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there was a guy named Roy Sturgeon who hoarded 1793 liberty cap large cents. when his collection was sold in 2002 he had 57. thats like 1/3 of the total coins that exist. when they were sold it depressed prices for almost 2 years. after that 2 year period prices went waaaaaaay up. there werent any more available. eventually the market consumed them all.

not sure about the difference in demand between the liberty cap 93 and the 13-s quarter but the price points arent far off. I would imagine the market can consume 16 copies but I bet it puts a bit of downward pressure on the price. people will upgrade and free up additional coins too. I wouldnt want to be trying to sell a mid grade problem copy in that kind of environment.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4375 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good points made above . If it were coming from one collector, I would only sell a couple at a time, with a decent time gap in between. That said, we don't know the sellers situation, and may have no choice but to dump them all. To Carrs point, I'd see the choice mid grade- high grade examples doing well, and even lower circ examples doing ok, as they are more "affordable", but if there's any problem child's in the group, they'll take a hit. Curious as to what sales will be as well post auctions. Though even that may be tough to judge depending on the future economy as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have them all in my watch list so I'll try to keep track of the hammer prices. Shouldn't be too difficult to compare with the 17-18 that sold previously this year. With the range of grades being offered I suppose there's something to fit the price range of different collectors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 480Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: