Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Got A Roll Of Uncirculated 2022 Dimes, What Now

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  9:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrichter830 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening everyone. Very new to the hobby and am trying my hand at selling as well as build my personal collection. I got a new roll of 2022 D dimes from the bank. Loomis wrapped and all that. I went through them and there is a one or two that I'm still looking at and the rest I just put in the back of a coin binder in the protected page holder thing. I have a few rolls of 2022 d Pennie's but those were all not great looking so I just put them in rolls and will take them back.

My question is what do others do in this scenario and should I just sit in them? Part of my coin building is to leave it for my nephew down the road to either build his own and Lloyd numismatics like I have come to or if he doesn't sell to someone if he needs to.

Any help is appreciated, have a good night all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd look look for high grade examples, errors, and die events

if you don't know how to grade uncirculated coins yet, a new roll is a good chance to learn,

use a loupe, and sort the coins from most imperfections (hits from other coins, mostly) to fewest, post photos of the one with the fewest impercections in the Grading subforum, and others will offer grade opinions

repeat with another roll until you learn grading
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrichter830 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few that I think are very highly grade. Would they even be worth grading at the moment. From what I see they are worth around 2-3 bucks. I will post pics asap.

Is it worth just sitting on the 20-30 really nice ones? That's the main thing I am curious about. I have looked at them with my loupe and microscope and did photo grade comparison. I think they are good.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4227 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I give only one trick. New coins, wow. All look nice at the first. They are? NO. For the 2022 I will look for the best at first look, then for the best strike: mean the strike very well adjusted (hard to find). Then I will eliminate all has marks from bag or roll machine. You talk about 2 to 3 $ a Dime? Do are stupid's to pay this price for a recent coin?. This it is my suggestion for you for you.

For varieties and errors is hard, because you has to accumulate a lot of knowledge. Here it is the place to be help. Some times fast and sometimes slow, but always will be someone.
Edited by silviosi
01/25/2023 01:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48483 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mrichter830,

Here is a link on grading:https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
I recommend you look through the coins and only keep the highest-grade ones. If you keep them all you will have a ton of coins saved up in no time with little if any premium.As to having them TPGed,a coin needs a retail value of at least $100 after slabbing to justify all costs involved in sending them in.Also,make sure those coin pages in your binder are coin safe to put a coin in without the coin being in a 2x2 holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/25/2023 04:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75062 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but in my opinion, any possible future added values of the rolls have been lost by opening the rolls. All you have now are searched coins.

The only increase in value I can think of is if a 'special' type of strike at the mint is found for that specific year/denomination in the future. A wrapped roll might gather a higher value then for 'error hunters'.

Of course, you can still make a small profit by selling these coins as BU online or at coin shows. I am still looking for a nice 2019 and a 2022-D BU cent for myself, but would pay only around 25 to 50 cents
each for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether more than one dime is worth saving is a matter of grade. Some fresh rolls are all spendable MS-63 or worse coins, others have several MS-66. I'd put the best example in an album, then save in plastic coin tubes anything that looks MS-65 or better. I'm partial to early die state coins so those, if any, would get extra consideration for saving.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrichter830 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I think I'm on the same page.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF The first thing you have to think about is that there were more than 1,500,000.000 of them minted. It would have to be perfect before it was worth more than a few dollars.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: