Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify Some Ancient Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  12:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I recently bought around 40 uncleaned ancient coins, and managed to clean most(still figuring out the best method, probably cleaned too harsh). but am unable to identify even one coin, here are 4 coins, will post a few more.

Learn More...
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1: it's a slug. I can;t see anything there that remotely resembles an ancient coin design.

#2: A follis of Licinius II, reverse type "campgate" PROVIDENTIAE CAESS. Can;t see the mintmark, but stylistically is looks the same as this example from Wildwinds.

#3: from the Gallo-Roman Empire: Tetricus II caesar, reverse SPES AVGG, Hope standing. The example on Wildwinds is in worse condition than yours.

#4: This one's not ancient. With a castle on one side and a lion on the other, this one is an early modern Spanish coin (1500-1600, I think).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking and very interesting coins, really looks ancient, material? - are they made up of copper or brass?
Learn More...
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bronze, sometimes with a trace of silver.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, will post a few more coins, but whats the best way to identify them, especially if you cant really read the name, or part of the name is off-center or broken off. I have spent hours looking for coins, and couldn't nail them down.
Also the first coin does not appear to be a slug, but I don't really know what it is. I'll try to get a better picture, but it is as if there is a large K in the design.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a few more pics.
Should I clean any of these more or leave them alone?

This coin shows the most detail and is fairly large and thick

Thanks, this place is always real helpful.
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 14th and last one with someone standing looks the best for me, neat, just curious, what is that particular coin's diameter?
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2009  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
about 15mm
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2009  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bump, any way to get the coins identified, just the emporers would be a great help, thanks
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05