Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Coin A Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 6,775Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2006  9:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spookyjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's a 1944 Australia Florin, and I bought it from a dealer who claims it's authentic, but to me it doesn't look it. It appears to have burn marks on it, which actually looks like bronze copper or something similar coming through.

Download Attachment: IMG_0911.JPG
90.49 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0912.JPG
100.71 KB

Any opinions?

*** I have moved this thread to the Aussie Forum for it to attract more attention ***
Edited by lim118
05/03/2006 04:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3416 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2006  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not too sure why would anyone want to counterfeit that coin, unless it's a rare date. Perhaps, this topic will be better off if moved to the Australian Pre-decimal coinage.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1262 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2006  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1944 Florin UNC is only worth AUD75.00 so I cant see anyone wanting to counterfeit them.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2006  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spookyjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I only paid like $1 american money for it, so I'm not out of anything really. I bought it because I thought it was a cool looking coin, though the "burn" marks do look somewhat weird. I doubt it's counterfeit too, but still trying to figure out what the bronze coloring is.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3416 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2006  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 dollar? Perhaps you got a deal, whether is a counterfeit or not, as no one will want to bother to counterfeit for just a dollar!

Perhaps you should weigh it and confirm if it is genuine or not.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Learn More...
Australia
14016 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2006  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1944 florins are sterling silver, which often tarnishes brown in my experience. I'd say it's just heavy tarnish. Looks like it could be a botched cleaning job?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2006  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks real to me.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
540 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2006  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wwwww to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks fine to me. I've got half a dozen or so counterfeits florins (always find one or two in bulk lots) from Geo VI, most of them are significantly lighter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5245 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2006  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the coin is real and that the spot is some form of corrosion caused by an acid or some other chemical that was directly applied to the coin.

However, the real reason I wanted to jump into this discussion was the repeated statement that no one would counterfeit a coin to make a dollar. That is simply not true. In 1999, in southeast Massachusetts someone was producing US 25 cent coins and passing them into general circulation. So the margin on each coin passed was less than 25 cents. The coins were struck in copper using a pair of transfer dies and the finish product was dipped in mercury to create a thin "plating" that looked like weathered Copper-nickel. The mercury would soon wear off and it was a hazardous metal to boot. But what got the attention of the authorities was the fact that the coins were made using the older Washington-Eagle design dated 1999. Apparently the forger did not know the mint started the State Quarter program in 1999.

If you read up on forgery you will find that the more successful forgers do not do the big ticket coins. The Henning 1944 5 cent piece was issued in the HUNDREDS of Thousands into general circulation. The Dallas 1950 D 5 cent coin was made for the numismatic market in numbers that EXCEEDED the legitimate production of the Denver mint.

In Boston in 1893 - one of the biggest problems with forgery was the Indian Head cent.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2006  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by spookyjr

Well, I only paid like $1 american money for it, so I'm not out of anything really. I bought it because I thought it was a cool looking coin, though the "burn" marks do look somewhat weird. I doubt it's counterfeit too, but still trying to figure out what the bronze coloring is.

you paid around or just over bullion value for this coin , so it is a great pick up for one dollar
Pillar of the Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2006  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
you paid around or just over bullion value for this coin , so it is a great pick up for one dollar

Hang on, that doesn't sound right. Unless I'm mistaken a Sterling silver 1944 florin has about 10.4 grams or 1/3 Troy ounce of silver in it. At present bullion prices of AUD $18 per ounce or US $13.90 that makes it worth in bullion alone AUD $6 / US $4.63.
Edited by Learjet
05/06/2006 12:32 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14016 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2006  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learjet: You're correct, that's the silver content given in Krause: 0.3363 oz.. BV somewhere around $4, back when the last Krause came out.

(Sorry I'm quoting Krause for Aussie stuff, but I've loaned both my Renniks and Maccas to a young lady working towards a Queen's Scout "coin collecting" skill.)
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2006  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OT but it's an interesting coin-cidence ;-) that a sterling silver pre-war Florin has (very roughly) about the same silver content as those round 1966 50c pieces. The Florin is a smaller coin but has 92.5% silver as opposed to 80% for the 50c so it works out roughly the same. Maybe a bit less for the Florin if it's been worn flat.
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2006  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Learjet

OT but it's an interesting coin-cidence ;-) that a sterling silver pre-war Florin has (very roughly) about the same silver content as those round 1966 50c pieces. The Florin is a smaller coin but has 92.5% silver as opposed to 80% for the 50c so it works out roughly the same. Maybe a bit less for the Florin if it's been worn flat.

at that price spookyjr has made a great purchase he can never loose money on , great buying
Netherlands
8 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2006  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver-coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bm1947

A 1944 Florin UNC is only worth AUD75.00 so I cant see anyone wanting to counterfeit them.

Chinese make counferfeits from coins far less worth...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2006  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pattiewhack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks real to me... but cleaned.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 6,775Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: