Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Ancient Coin (Or Modern Fake) | Brass Of Trajan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2009  7:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trainhater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this for $5 at a pawn shop, it looks like bronze to me. I know nothing of ancient coins but it appears real, for the $5 I won't cry if it is fake. So anything you may know would help. Sorry about the picture quality, I can take more if you need. Thank you in advance.

Identified - moved to Ancients forum - Sap
Learn More...
Australia
13096 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2009  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a brass coin of Roman emperor Trajan; either a sesterius or dupondius, depending on size (a sesterius is about 33mm across, a dupondius about 27mm); I'm leaning towards sestertius because the dupondius normally has the emperor wearing a radiate crown.

Reverse type is Aequitas (Equity) standing holding scales and cornucopia, legend SPQR OPTIMIO PRINCIPI around. Not listed in the Sear catalogue, but it's number 497 (for the sestertius) or 498 (for the dupondius) in the RIC catalogue; example on Wildwinds.

So, is it genuine? I can't really tell from those pics, but there are known copies of this same design; this one on FORVM's fake database has the word "COPY" stamped on the emperor's neck, which yours doesn't seem to have. A genuine sestertius would cost a lot more than $5 (more like over $100) from a knowledgeable dealer.

The only problem I have with it is the colour; an ancient brass coin shouldn't still look brassy (brass turns black after a couple of thousand years underground). If it's genuine, it's been thoroughly cleaned some time ago.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2009  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trainhater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, For some reason the color on the picture is much brighter than the actual coin, the coin is pretty dark but not black. I meant to say brass not bronze, my bad. I am sure someone has cleaned it over the years. I have never weighed it but it is heavy and thick and as you can see irregular. The pawn shop lets me rummage through the coins and I have gotten some great deals, silver coins that should go for much more she sells cheap but yet wants $30 for a roll of common date wheat cents that should go for under $2.00.
Again, thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
Tim
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05