Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

King Edward Coin/Medallion(?)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2010  01:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MnLogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm currently 17 years old, about 10 years ago my friend gave me this strange coin before he moved to Colorado. It's a very crude looking medallion but it looks to be in very good shape.

On the front of the medallion, it has almost a 3D head of King Edward wearing a crown, with ornate marking behind it. Around the medallion on the front is says "God save Edward King of England"

Then on the back, there is a picture of a unicorn and a lion holding a crown over crossed swords(?)
Around the top on the back it says: "Prosper the work of our hands O Lord" with 3 stars connecting the text. Right under the picture of the unicorn and lion there is 'EI'. It looks suspicious, and I saw other posts of my medallion on other forums but so far no one has really identified it. Theres no year on the coin, etc, so its hard to tell.

Does anyone have an idea what this is and what year its from?

I can try to post a picture if needed.

Thanks!
Learn More...
Australia
12877 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2010  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Example on the UK Detector Finds Database. From your description, yours is much the same as this one.

I can see why many folks are confused by it; the design of the obverse is very mediaeval in style, but the quality of the artwork is much better than one usually finds on genuinely mediaeval objects. The style of sans-serif lettering was popular in the early 20th century (1900-1940); medals from the 1800's more commonly have seriffed script.

I can also see that it's vague about which "King Edward" is being referred to; England has had eight Edwards in all. But the "mediaeval theme" the obverse has going makes me think it could be one of the earlier ones. Alternatively, and given the timing I propose, it could date from the time of Edward VII - who was the first Edward Britain had had since the boy-king Edward VI in 1553 - even though it doesn't really look like him.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2010  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can try to post a picture if needed.

It's always better to supply the picture
so everybody can see what are you talking about.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverWarden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this worth anything? I have one as well.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2016  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbeniston to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know exactly what this is. As I dug one up myself, so to speak. It is from a smithsonian educational product, where you dig through a lump of clay, and find replica artifacts. This from the medieval one. It's no more than 15 years old and probably worthless.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05