Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone ever find Canadian silvers while US roll hunting?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  6:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ask this because I scored nine pre-68 dimes in a $1k bag today. That makes 40 pre-68 silver canadians for me in about 2yrs of hunting. They were not all in one roll, just random. I have several from the 30's and 40's. I would rather find one of those than a merc, it's always a pleasant surprise. ffd
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've managed three mercs and 20 or so silver roosies and plenty of regular Canadian dimes but never a Canadian silver. Where are you located? Near the border I imagine
Pillar of the Community
United States
848 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdh157 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have......found 2 silvers in the past year and 6-7 overall. Dates from 1940-1967. I've also fonud a lot of non silver and a few silver can qtrs
Pillar of the Community
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm probably 150 miles or so from the border. Last year I found 150 roosies, 14 mercs and 15 silver canadians.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott3270 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have had no such luck
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never found a dime I kept.
Pillar of the Community
United States
680 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found numerous canadian silver dimes and quarters over the last five years. Just about 3 months ago, I found my first candian silver half dollar in a box of halves. I live about 20 minutes from the Canadian border, so the coins pop up in change every so often.
Learn More...
United States
50650 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found a couple in change when I lived closer to the border, but I never found one in a roll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well......other than looking at every coin that hits my pocket throughout the day, I've never actively pursued "dime searching". But I might now upon hearing of the success rate of silver Rosies and Mercs.....
I have a Canadian silver dime from the 1880's.....but it wasn't found roll searching.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason11006 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've went through 4 boxes of dimes in roll hunting and I've found 1 1964 CAD dime. thats acually the only silver dime I've ever pulled from a box. I did find 9 full rolls of 1964 dimes customer wrapped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one silver Canada half dollar in a customer roll. No other Canadian silver though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick question here.....

Why do I save "EVERY SINGLE" Canadian Cent (or nickel too for that matter) that comes my way while roll searching ? ...
I mean....I'm fairly excited if it's "old"......like anything pre-1960 or whatever, but, I've found that something in my brain forces me to save "ALL" dates from Canada. Even if it's a 2002, a 1987, etc., etc., ANY dates !....and I don't know why I keep doing this.
I'm ending up with a nice batch of Canadian Cents, I guess....

Now, my favorite (fairly modern) Canadian Cent, is the "anniversary" one with the Dove....1967. But, then I found "this" information from the "Calgary Gallery" and it just started making me "re-think" why exactly I bother to save "any" of these, unless they have some real age to them.

Quote:
In 1967, to celebrate Canada's 100th anniversary as a country, all of the standard circulating coins were issued depicting various animals common to Canada, with a dove design by Alex Covillie used for the one cent. The alloys, weight and size remained unchanged. PLEASE NOTE THAT 1967 1 CENT COINS ARE VERY COMMON AND NORMAL CIRCULATION STRIKES, EVEN IN MINT CONDITION, ARE OF VERY LITTLE VALUE.

I realize that my intial "brain response" is probably just......"OH MY GOSH ! .... A FOREIGN COIN !"
And the reality is that it's no different than our coinage here at home....unless I was "picking gems" out of a continous supply for an album, I WOULD NOT SAVE "EVERY" DATE AND TYPE AT ALL !
I have no "continous supply" of these of course....and I don't ever intend on trying to put together a Canadian Cent album.....or nickel......or any other denomination.
So....just "why" am I saving them ? ...
And is anyone else doing the same thing ?

(no offense meant to my Canadian friends....because if I lived there...I would be "all over" collecting that coinage ! .. I think Canada has some very beautiful, interesting, and some very valuable coinage)
(I don't eBay....so I just won't ever have a chance to build and collect them)
Edited by eaglefoot
01/28/2010 3:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
50650 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do I save "EVERY SINGLE" Canadian Cent (or nickel too for that matter) that comes my way while roll searching ?
Because you will eventually want to collect the series. This gives you a good starting pool to start filling the holes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
......I have a very bad habit of posting a reply.......and then spending 20 minutes editing and adding to my reply.....and, as JB knows with me, by that time, people have read and responded to an "ever changing" comment !

But yeah......maybe you're actually right JB.....this interest in possibly completing the series "later" in life could hit me, afterall.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in California and while roll searching I have found in total between Canadian quarters dimes nickels and pennies probably $40 face value. Of that from quarters and dimes I have found around $2 face in Canadian silver.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason11006 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I save every CAD coin I get too. I live in michigan so I get alot of CAD coins, I just opened a box of pennys and got 44 CAD pennies. I've got about $20 in CAD coins from roll hunting now. 1 silver dime and 1 king george cent. the rest junk. idk why I keep them either. maybe one day I will start a CAD book. maybe oneday their money will be worth more then USA money. I remember in 04 going to CAD and the exchange rate was 40% ($1 gets you $1.40 cad). now $1 gets you $1.05.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05