Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Day At The Bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  01:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Agosos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I normally send my son into the bank while I am doing my shopping to grab a couple of bags of 50c and 20c,but today my younger daughter asked me if she could do it,so I said why not.
She came skipping back with a big cheesy grin and handed me about 6 bucks in copper, 20 bucks in 50c and 20c and then from behind her back she hands me 2 2 dollar notes!"Is that better than just all 20c and 50 c"she asked me.She got an ice cream
having a quick look through the copper,ive picked out around 15 almost uc 1c and 3 2c,interestingly enough 12 of the 15 are from 1981,and all 3 of the 2c coins are 1981 also.
I know what ill be doing after dinner.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well-done that girl !
Peter
at home in Darwin
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Agosos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She did do a good job,i filled some holes in my copper album and upgraded some of the others,found a few nz 1s and 2s ,a canadian cent and a u.s Lincoln.
The 50c bag had 1 charles and di 50c,a captain cook 50c,a 1994 wide nine 50c,2 2005 comm games and a 2010 50c thats a bit battered,the first 2010 coin I've seen.
20c had a couple of coming home coins.
I think I'll give her a promotion
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lived in Oz for 8 years from 96 to 04 and I thought that they no longer made one and two cent coins. I used to find them with a metal detector all the time but never in circulation.
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Agosos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
heres the notes,ones pretty ratty,the metal strip is showing but the other ones not bad,sorry I cut the ends off,donno what happened there.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/...6/2notes.jpg
Heres the "shinier" 1s and 2s,I haven't gone through the others for ones missing initials,i'll post any if I find them.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/...sandtwos.jpg
And halfwitty,you are right,we stopped using them in 1992,and the 2 dollar note were stopped in 1988ish.Someone mustve needed some quick cash for smokes or something and the bank let my daughter take them.
Edited by Agosos
02/10/2010 09:26 am
Australia
48 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2010  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mitchell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got copper coins from a bank?!
I didn't know you could do that!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can still get copper coins from the bank. Unfortunately some tellers won't sell them to you. Some will 'cos the are a pain for the bank. The bank can only return a them to the Reserve Bank when a certain value has been reached, otherwise they sit in someone's drawer.

Don'tlet the teller tell you that they are no longer legal tender. They are. As I understand it, the only Australian conage that has been demonitised is the holey dollar.
Valued Member
Cyprus
349 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ozzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi I asked the bank for some 1c,2c and they gave me about $50 worth they had in a bag. Suppose I should start a 1c,2c collection now. Most of them are circulated with some shiny ones scattered through them. Now what to do with them?

Formerly nancyc
Australia
4900 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2010  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now what to do with them?

Start searching them for varieties and errors.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start looking for the 2 cents that don't have the 'SD' initials.
Valued Member
Australia
153 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnsopet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The truth is that here in Australia the 1 and 2c coins were withdrawn in 1991 and Banks here do not have these coins and they certainly do not hand them over
They are legal tender by law only
Formerly nancyc
Australia
4900 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2010  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That depends on the Bank Manager, I've received well over $100 in 1 & 2 from a couple Banks in the last few years. Then one Manager told his staff NOT to let anyone have them.

Most Banks consider them a nuisance to deal with as (I believe) they have to count them by hand and can't pass them on to the Security Companies, and the Reserve Bank won't accept them until they reach $xxx (not sure what the minimum is).

I have another source for them now, so I don't bother with the Banks.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
153 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2010  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnsopet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks are a business now not a service,shareholders expect profits
Nancy thats good you have other sources for the copper coins,banks are not a source they simply don't have any to swap at face value
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ozzie,
Goodto see you got a few from the bank.
Nancy,
I still get mine from local banks. It can depend on who the teller is at the time, but I have no difficulty getting them.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
652 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agosos posted back in July that he got $20 of 2 cents from his local bank. They are definitely there.
Edited by Yass
09/20/2010 6:59 pm
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Agosos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still picking up $5-$20 worth now and then.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05