Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Occupied France & Belgium - Coinage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  02:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope this is the proper subforum for this enquiry.

Can anyone advise the specific years which French coins were modified to pursuant to German occupation?

Also, could someone advise if Belgium coins were also modified, and if so, the years as well?

Thanks, kindly.

CheetahCats

Moved to World Coins section
-GO
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I will take note of the relo.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The French coins that are different due to the occupation are the pieces issued by the Vichy regime. Instead of the "regular" inscriptions ("République Française" and "Liberté - Égalité - Fraternité") they would say "État Français" and "Travail - Famille - Patrie". The denominations were 10 centimes 1941-44; 20c 1941-44; 50c 1942-44; 1 franc 1942-44; 2 francs 1942-44. (The 5 fr piece dated 1941 did not actually circulate.)

As for Belgium, the main criterion is that the occupation coins are zinc pieces. However, Belgium continued to make them for some times after 1945: Except for the low (5c, 10c) denominations, they were produced until 1947.

Christian
Edited by chrisild
02/10/2010 05:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Christian -

Thanks for the prompt reply and information. I appreciate. it.

CheetahCats
Learn More...
Australia
13043 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you're just talking about WWII. Most of Belgium was also occupied by Germany during WWI (1915-1918) and a distinctive series of German occupation coinage was issued for there at that time, too.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap. I should have clarified. Yes WWII.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a side note to this matter of occupation coinage: what I've seen of the French denominations tends to be very poor. Finding a high-grade example is actually rather tough, for two reasons: the original mintage quality was very low, with many many examples exhibiting bubbling on the surfaces. Since their mintage in the 40s, these coins immediately began to oxidize, and their weak metal composition seems destined to an imminent disintegration.
It doesn't help that many numismatists don't recognize the white rot on these coins for what it is; I've seen dealers trying to sell examples with large white spots, and pass them off as just something that will 'come off'. (If and when it does come off, it's part of the coin coming off, so...) Storing them with other coins hastens their degradation; for the same reasons you won't find a good one in any buckets.
On the bright side, if you do find AU/Uncs, take good care of 'em, because their rarity is guaranteed to increase!

I have a hunch that the larger denomination aluminum issues-- the 1FF, 2FF, 5FF--are similarly ill-destined. Their huge mintage numbers belie the fact that MS examples that are corrosion-free are actually pretty tough.

But who doesn't like a challenge? ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SeriousCeres -> I noticed both the bubbling and the white blemishes on the coins that I browsed through... I suspected when I saw them that it had something to do with the minting qualit & metal composition. Thanks for clarifying!
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the subject of other countries who's issues were influenced by WW2, off the top of my head Norway, Netherlands, Poland (Generalgouvernment) and Denmark also experienced changes to their coinage. Austria, Danzig and other Germanic Regions bordering the Reich had their currency integrated with the Reichsmark currency..

One of my little sidelines are these 'occupation' and 'integration' types (by 'integration' I am talking about things like the Austrian 1 and 2Gr, Danzig 1 to 10Pfg, etc, that circulated as the equivalent Reichspfennig denomination)...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2513 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread! I have collected Japanese Occupation currency and Guerrilla currency from WWII, but haven't ventured into such European coinage, yet.

Good info, here.
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have those coins but didnt knew they where from two regimes:
the "République" Française for the free France and the "État" Français for the German occupied France.

Graet info, thanks chrisild!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2010  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait wait wait. During much of WW2 there was no "free" France. The country was attacked and then controlled by Nazi Germany (1940-44), and basically divided into two parts - the North/West (under German occupation) and the South/East (with the Vichy regime). The latter was called État Français, and basically a puppet regime. It had its own governmental structures, first "tolerated" but the area was occupied by German and Italian forces (in '42) too.

Now that applies to Europe (France Métropolitaine). Things were a little different in the overseas territories; especially in northern Africa where the Forces Françaises Libres fought on the side of the allies and of Charles de Gaulle's exile government.

Christian
Edited by chrisild
02/13/2010 10:19 am
Paraguay
19 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2010  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goossen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are from my collection:

***Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***

(Still haven't figured how to upload pictures)

To post remote images...

[img]img url here[/img]
Paraguay
19 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2010  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goossen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, sorry for the other previous post.

Here are:

10 C

20 C

50 C

1 F

2 F
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2010  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins Goossen
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05