Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do With Rolls Of Copper Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 4,164Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
so after roll searching I find myself with a few rolls of copper, what do I do with it? the rolls are random dates from 59-82, all conditions.. what is it worth if anything? should I ebay them? anyone on here want to buy them/trade them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just put mine back into the wild after picking the varieties. There are some that are saving them and selling pounds of copper cents on E-cry but I don't have that in me.I throw them back with a few weaties and hope that some kid now or years from now find them in his lunch money.Keep the collecting going.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36500 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You keep hoarding them like I do. They are worth about Two Cents each for the copper. I'm hoping I can sell them in the near future for a nice profit. You said you have a few rolls,how many is a few?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see them on ebay going above face all the time. I'm inclined to keep the ones that look decent and see what happens in a few years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so far, 3, but I am 16 rolls through a 50 roll box. .. so there will be more...
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I throw them in a coin bag after checking for varieties. I currently have a little over 50 lbs. According to (124) This link is not allowed by the Staff .com, the bullion value is over $160.00. So, I either keep the dollars in my account where they lose value daily, or store wealth in bullion.

Of course if I need the FRNs, I can just dump the cents into the coin counter at my CU and take the cash.

Matt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts exactly St. Joe.Recycle more rolls.I look at it this way. I maybe can just turn them in and find a WAM or DD and will cover by many times the profit that can be made by hauling a crap load of pennies to get melted. JMO.
Edited by Halfwitty
02/20/2010 5:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SDcoinguy
On average you are going to hit around 25% copper pennies, with some boxes running as high as 40% +. Ergo, on $100 it is possible to end up with about $30+ in copper pennies. That being said this is what I am doing.

The copper is sorted as clean and dirty pile (plenty of green growing)
The wheat pennies are separated into a diff pile.
The clean copper (nice brown) is sorted by year, mm and then rolled in bank rolls.
I am not sure what I am going to do with the dirty copper pile yet.
You will also run into plenty of Canadian's.

FWIW, I have been putting the copper away for a few years now and this is nothing new to me. I am with Matt on this; If nothing happens I plan on cashing it in.

Hope this helps.
Peace
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it helps a little, I guess. I am not that big into cent searching. mainly halves. I will probably just throw them back in the wild and hope that someone else saves the copper. I have found alot of wheats however. those I will try and sell as rolls or individually...
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of guys in my coin club have accumulated more than 40,000 copper cents so far. Is it worth the wait (or weight) for an approval on melting if it ever comes ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had put over $400 worth of coppers away with the same intent as posted by others here. Then it hit me. By they time the govt lets these be sold for melt, just how much would they appreciate. Then factor out a couple of middlemen (use silver as an example) and adjust what you will make on copper if it goes to .03 per coin. Now, you have to store it somewhere and my wife hated every minute they were in the house, smell was one reason.

After going thru them carefully for errors and varieties plus wheats, etc, they now go right back to the bank. I took the money from "the hoard" and put it into coins for a couple of sets and some investment coins and I will bet that when I could have finally sold them my coin investments will be worth more.

I had found myself falling into that same old habit of any coin is worth keeping just to watch the hoard grow. Glad they are gone and am enjoying the art of "collecting" again.

Jim IMHO
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim, that's a point to consider. I've got about 10,000 put away which is now over $200 worth of copper, IF I can ever sell them for copper. If I buy a $100 coin with my hoard, I wonder if it will double in price before the copper melt ban is lifted. I guess you pays your money and takes your chances either way.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MtnCoinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People talk about storage. Maybe some have limited storage but a couple of five gallon water jars full of copper stuck in the corner of a walk in closet is not talking up any space. For a wife who complains, how much space are her shoes taking up that she wore once?
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I'm keeping them is that I don't believe the Federal Reserve or the US gov't knows what they are doing. There's a very good possibility that the dollar will collapse in the foreseeable future. So when people stop trusting in FRNs (Federal Reserve Notes), they will turn to what they know - the gold, silver and copper content in minted coins. I don't care so much about melting them or not, just in storing wealth.

I don't put it into a premium coin because if I need access to the FRNs, I would have to liquidate that coin. Right now if I need cash, I just drop them into the coin counter at my CU.

Matt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread, and many differing views on how to play copper. Being new to this, but old on criticism of our Gov't and the Fed, I lean towards StJoeBlues. I've got a 2.5 gal water jug I've been tossing them into - I don't feel like rolling them. I do keep the BU ones separate and roll them in 5 year spans, (59-64, 65-70, 71-76, 77-82.)

Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2010  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the govt is in the process of destroying the dollar but have to hope that it does not reach the point the Joe makes. If it does, you will be keeping the wrong copper. If we reach that collapse, the copper you will need will fit into the chamber of a gun. You will need it to keep your neighbors from stealing everything in your vegetable garden. Last I checked, you can't eat silver and gold.
Jim
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 4,164Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05