Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent With Qx5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 10,022Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1995 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent with QX5

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's purdy! What's QX5?
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
QX5 Digital USB Microscope ($100)

Search for QX5 in forum.

Samples:
http://goccf.com/t/25838&SearchTerms=QX5

Once in a while, you can find them on the net or ebay.

The link to the company shows them out of stock:
http://store.digiblue.com/QX5_Compu.../db12013.htm

But here are some:
http://www.shoptronix.com/Prime-Ent...002HLKI2.htm

http://www.cheapees.com/Digital-Blu...3851034.html

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Enterta...p/B0002HLKI2
Edited by yechi7
03/12/2010 02:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, I was thinking it was some attribution term I had never heard of! - my bad!

What a beauty, though! I want one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a SDCO w/10xL.

(aka Scooby Due Cheap-O through a 10x Loupe).
Pillar of the Community
United States
781 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jedichef to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one seriously nice cent. Is that little inclusion in the roof of the second 9 the die marker for this cent or is it unique to yechi's?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip on the QX5 yechi. I'm going to look into this. And to think it's less than what I paid for my SDCO!

And, for clarity, when I said "beauty", of course I meant the coin. It's awesome!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't recognize the die chip either. I see the die gouges above the B & are are indicating at least MDS? Could this be an LDS marker?
Edited by Scooby Due
03/12/2010 01:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Educate me briefly, please, on MDS & LDS.

I was wondering about the "9" also. I found this info on Ken Potter's Error & Variety Coins List :

http://koinpro.tripod.com/ErrorVarietyList.htm

Quote:
1995 1c Doubled Die Obverse VCR#1/DDO#1 This is the big one shown in the " Red Book"! These are sharp Stage-1 examples with nice clean fields and well defined crisp doubling on LIBERTY and IN GOD. These coins were produced before the obverse die was stoned or otherwise dressed-out with an abrasive to remove minor flaws. It is the more desirable stage preferred by collectors. Don't be fooled by dealers that offer this variety for lower prices but fail to mention the die-stage! When this is the case, they are almost certainly delivering the later stage specimens with the less defined doubling and heavy die lines (die scratches) showing in the fields. These are pieces that an East Coast dealer who had thousands of the 1995 doubled dies back over a decade ago creamed from the group and sent in to PCI when they ran a special on grading 1995 doubled die cents. They are truly "wonder coins" in grade and flash! I took five pieces had had their grades reaffirmed by JT Stanton and re-holdered in his "Signature Series" slabs.

1995 1c Doubled Die Obverse VCR#1/DDO#1 This is the big one listed in the "Red Book!" This is a Stage-2 examples with the die striations from stoning (as described above). This one has an interesting die chip on the 9 of date as an added bonus to the doubled die! It is what CONECA calls "Stage E". Nice!

In addition to the "9," look at Potter's pic of the "R" & "T." They are also identical to mine.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EDS, MDS & LDS are early, mid and late die stages. It sounds like you scored an early die state and that is awesome! I was looking the DDO up on coppercoins and I did not see that marker listed. The more refined pros can respond to this a lot better than I can, but from what I understand, if this is an EDS coin, it is more desirable because it has not struck as many coins during the life of the die providing a crisper example.

A beautiful coin no matter how you slice it. Very nice score!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Gives me hope and a reason to keep drudging through those piles of 95's from each box.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  09:24 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin and pics!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got one at home. Never checked the die stage. Will tonight and post pics.
Jim
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southerngent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin and now I need to look into a microscope.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jamesd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great find, I am jealous
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great coin and pics!

Quote:
Great coin and now I need to look into a microscope.

The QX5 is a very good cheapy microscope. Not super-sharp focus but for the price, it's great. The pics I took are sharper than Ken Potter's, & I don't think he used a cheapy scope.

The 1st pic is 10X; the 2nd pic is 60X. It also does 200X, but I didn't use that. The pics are done "straight out of the box," with the QX5 software & no post-processing touch-ups, although some folks do use post-processing refinement.

I love "Mint error coins," which I guess Doubled Dies are classified as.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 10,022Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05