Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 cent errors?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
423 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  05:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add realpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First off I don't know much about coins. I found this 5 cent piece recently and was wondering if it is a mint error or if someone deliberately altered this coin? The queen side rim is odd.
Cheers

Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks. sanded IMO but I'm NOT a pro. I'm not familiar with Canadian currency but if the dots that are around the edge on the reverse are supposed to be on the obverse than that will strengthen my opinion.

please enlighten me-pros
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
realpenny, your coin I believe is made at home.
lafaa, if you are trying to be a smart (_(_) I would stop it...it is not appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3640 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn about the coin making process. The more you know about certain methods and metals, the easier it is to see if such coins are in mint-state. Try and explain how the process messed and made that coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coinsrfun, what do you mean by smart? do you mean IQ smart than yes, if you mean *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. *** smart, than definitely not, I'm really not familiar with this error and Canadian coins and I might be wrong
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey, I hit my 700th post (in my world)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, was unsure.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10330 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all.. lets welcome realpenny to the Forum.

Second.. lafaa, I have read some of your posts, you say you don't know anything about Errors, or Canadian coins,if you are not sure, why do you post answers your not familiar with

BTW..realpenny, I agree with coinsrfun, It looks like a homemade job.
True North
Edited by SHAFTA9a
04/10/2010 10:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i may not know much about them but I can still have my opinion? can't i?
Valued Member
423 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info everyone, guess I'll spend that one. As I just started on coins (nickels) I am only at 'learning the standard stuff' in the learning curve. Guess I should start looking into the standard errors and get to know them.

The coin rim didn't look like it was done by free hand. They must have used a machine to make the cut. Why anyone would do it is beyond me though.

Thanks for the welcome SHAFTA9a.
Cheers

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opinions are like nose hairs, everyone has one.

Yep you can have an opinion and the advantage of sharing an opinion and the reasoning behind the opinion is that you can get feedback on why you might be right or wrong. You were on teh right path. Some are annoyed by non pro opinions but I'm not. If you stick your nickle up on the net you're asking for whatever feedback you get.

I don't think lafaa's *first* post was out of line at all as they made appropriate disclaimers but wanted to chime in.

What has my attention with the nickel is how uniformly it was done. I think I could do it in a lathe and in fact I see rim damage in the three positions where the jaws might have gripped the nickel halfway through the depth of the rim. I spend a lot of time thinking about how people create these things.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed, someone spent some time balancing out this coin adjustment. Seems 2 "grip marks" at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. Interesting.
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adanak44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
realpenny Welcome to the forum!

"The coin rim didn't look like it was done by free hand." that is real smart and the others I don't know?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 places on the rim where it's messed up are not at 1/3 increments like a lathe chuck would hold it - but the jaws of a vice could indeed have held it at 1 and 7 o'clock. It does look very uniform like a lathe could do, though. Unfortunately, I'm not very well versed in all the dastardly ways people mess with coinage.

realpenny, welcome! We're glad to have you

A lot of people get bored and experiment with pocket change. Then when they get bored with the piece they're messing with, they toss it back into circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't thinking of a three jaw chuck actually, I was thinking of multiple placements or attempts in a four jaw pincer type chuck used for facing and just mentioned I could see three damage points with a fourth or even fifth possible that I can't see.
Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennylover1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the look of that bevelled edge. Someone did a great job.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05