Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin Halfs  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got my first Dansco book, Franklin half dollars, the other day in the mail. For the past few weeks I have been buying them in MS quality. I have been noticing that the ones that have Full Bell Lines wrote on the 2X2 seem to increase the price. I was wondering what having full bell lines adds to the price of the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full bell lines demand a premium over book price as the strike is much clearer. http://www.caccoin.com/reference-se...ference-set/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Halfwitty. I just got back from the coin store and look at the FBL Franklin again. It was a 1951D that he graded at MS-63 which in the RedBook is around $40.00. He wanted $75.00 for it because of the full bell lines. I just didn't know if FBL were worth $35.00 more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic News lists a 51-D MS65 with full bell lines at $540.00 so if it looks like a MS65 it would be worth grading for sure.
Edited by Halfwitty
04/10/2010 1:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12421 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on the year and mintmark. Some years, FBL does not have a significant premium and other years, it is a true rarity(1953-S).
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So when a Franklin does not have Full Bell Lines is it from wear or a light strike when minted?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5705 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  06:30 am  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FBL are determined by the strike when minted. If it were wear then the coin would not be MS (Mint state) On Good strikes its possible the have a FBL coin in Au grades.
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info nohope587.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dvorak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering this myself.

Does FBL on a non-MS coin command a premium?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. I would like to know as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you'd find many AU Franklins out there with a FBL designation...and if you did find one, it would not have much (or any) premium.

( edit to add some data )

Teletrade has sold only one AU FBL coin in the last 4 years. 1950-D AU-58 FBL. It went for $12 plus buyers fee.

Edited by steve199
04/15/2010 5:37 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05