Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 10 Cent-much Smaller Than Others? How Is This Possible?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday I purchased a handful silver from a Waitress who collected all the silver she found in change. This 1986 10 cent piece, although not silver, attracted my attention.
How is this possible?
What is a contraption like this worth? If anything?

weight: 1.91 grams
diameter: 16 mm
thickness: 1.5 mm

Edited by hhbkiddo
05/19/2010 1:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pinenut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has all the hallmarks of a classic dryer coin. The bulbous oversized rim gives it away.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a dryer coin? Have NO idea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
literally a coin that sit inside of a dryer and was subjected to lots of increasing and decreasing heat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and it has been clattering in the dryer a lot, which smooths out its rim.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pocket change gets stuck in the fim of a commercial clothes dryer and bangs around against the steel drum for a few months until the dryer is serviced. That continual rolling banging action will mar and wear down the faces and will cause the rim to roll, giving the coin a small thick appearance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so, if that is a possibility, what happened to the denticles ?
and where is the rest of the metal gone from its weight to the original weight?
AND< if this is the case, WHY is the rim on the inside as smooth as on the outside?
If this coin was in a dryer, it had to be there for an extremely long time and at very high temps, which would have burned the cloth.
I am not convinced that this is what happened?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it doesn't get trapped in the cloth, it gets trapped between the rims of the outside of the tumbler area, turned and scraped with dirt etc...

the rim has been rolled over the denticles... roll it back and see for yourself. It's not like more damage is going to reduce the value of this one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
686 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jg86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I 100% agree with everyone that it is a dryer coin. But HHB mentions that the weight is less (I believe). Do dryer coins lose weight?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ever fall off a motorcycle and slide down the road? You lose more than a few grams of mass. Same here, it's basically been industrially sanded.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeavesy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would find it interesting to see any other examples of "dryer" coins. I suppose no one bothers to keep them around though. I can't wait to throw that term up at a dinner party and look really smart...or not lol.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigoletto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had never seen a dryer coin until I saw the posted pic. it is pretty interesting. Funny how people think of such things LOL
Valued Member
Canada
78 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2010  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wontoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you pay spot for the silver?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
Pillar of the Community
1844 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2010  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artdio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HHB I have a penny that looks just like it.... You want it ? at least you would have a pair of dryer coins...lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2010  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very funny.... thought I had a very expensive rarity... was not aware of such a thing....
my dryer can not make these, German dryers have more class.....lolololo they do not destruct coins....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05