Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is the big deal about thin planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2010  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw some coins in thin planchets advertised on Ebay. They sound like a big deal.
Is that something or nothing? Is that has an additional value or not?
Can somebody tell me?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2010  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A thin planchet error will be a light coin. It is caused by rolling the metal stock too thin before punching the planchets.

As an example, I found a 1954-D LWC with a light planchet last year. A normal Lincoln will weigh 3.1g but this one weighed 2.7g. It has all the appearances of a normal Lincoln with a bit of weakness and it slightly thinner. I was sorting through a batch of bulk wheats and it hit the desk, I immediately noticed the higher pitched ring it made. I put it on a scale and it was missing a few tenths. The middle coin in the edge shot is the thin planchet.

There is also the possibility that it was struck on a foreign planchet. The color is not markedly different from that of another Lincoln so the composition would have to be similar. Unless I can match the weight to that of a foreign planchet used by the US Mint at the time, I will list it as a light planchet. I believe that foreign coins were only minted at Philadelphia so that would make it even more unlikely being from Denver.

As for the value of a thin planchet, I really have no idea but I would value it at least a few dollars. A larger difference in weight would probably increase the value as would being able to positively ID it as a foreign planchet.
Edited by biokemist6
06/17/2010 10:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2010  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, biochemist.
Over the year, during coin search, I think, I found some of them.
I never thought it has value, so, I throw it back to circulation. I have to pay more attention in the future.
Mater of fact, I just came back from the Bank, returning Presidential dollars after I selected the best.
One of the roll was shorter than others. I recalculated, it wasn't miscalculated. I never thought about thin planchet until now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only worth a premium is someone is willing to pay.
I'm not a fan of any error coin, to me they are a mistake
and undesirable. Not that I would put a 55 DD back in circulation,
or a 37 3 legger but for the most part I'll let someone else save them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14582 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2010  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mater of fact, I just came back from the Bank, returning Presidential dollars after I selected the best.
One of the roll was shorter than others. I recalculated, it wasn't miscalculated. I never thought about thin planchet until now.

When you are dealing with unc or near unc coins you can't go by roll length. Thickness of the coins at the rim is mainly a function of the strength of the strike. In general the stronger the strike, the thicker the coins will be at the rim and the longer a roll will be.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2010  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samuel tan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I start pay more attention about the thin plancet. It turn out that many of them have thin on one side and thick on the other. I found one interesting Jefferson nickel without a nose due to thin plancet on the face area. I hope I can submit the photo soon.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05