Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Crown" Size Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  8:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect OFEC silver Crown sized coins, which I have always assumed to be around the 38mm diameter size.

But other collectors say 33-34mm diameters can also be considered "crown" sized.

which has now got me to really reassess my collecting thread

Need help, your opinions or thoughts on what's diameter size range for a "crown" coin ?

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
3942 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think that near crown is 35-37MM and crown is 38MM
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe there's a strict definition for the "crown size". Here's a wikipedia article about British crowns and within it it says:

Quote:
Numismatically, the term "crown-sized" is used generically to describe large silver or cupro-nickel coins of about 40 mm in diameter.

It's always "plus-minus", and every collector can determine his/her own limits for the size. I've heard some dealers call the cartwheel penny of 1797, 36 mm, a "copper crown".

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, the British (silver and Cu-Ni) crowns, from which the name came, were up to 45 mm hammered, and 38 - 41 mm milled. Since George III starting in 1818 the crowns were of a standard size 39 mm.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2010  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my "cat among pigeons"

Koruna = Crown from Czech Republic, size 20 mm

Learn More...
United States
22472 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  03:41 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider any coin at 38mm and above to be crown size. The British Crown is 38mm and so is the US Silver Dollar. While Taler coins can be 41mm and above.
Learn More...
Australia
13126 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My personal definition: if it fits into the largest-size 2x2 (39mm), it's a "crown". If it fits in the next size down (35mm), it's not. If it's too big for a 2x2, it's a "maxi-crown".

I definitely wouldn't include coins as small as 33mm. That's "halfcrown-sized".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... if it fits into the largest-size 2x2 (39mm), it's a "crown". If it fits in the next size down (35mm) ...

Next size 2x2's is 37.5 , or, at least, that's what I use.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slav, I suspect you use Lighthouse brand. :) Same here too. 30, 32,5 35, 37,5 and 39mm
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for those clear inputs
very interesting indeed

am now revising my thread to include half crowns (33mm thanks Sap, and below) as there are unavailable crown size for some countries (India is one) which really makes the thread impossible to complete

How does that sound?

Its become a toss up between a collection of:
crown sized (and incomplete OFEC)
Or complete OFEC but mixed sizes

Valued Member
Philippines
58 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fireandice556 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collecting strategy! No limit particular period?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Slav, I suspect you use Lighthouse brand. :) Same here too. 30, 32,5 35, 37,5 and 39mm

I used to do "supersafe", they have same ten sizes from 17.5 to 39.5, but my latest experience was underwhelming. Recently I switched to the Lighthouse brand and I love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15601 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My personal definition: if it fits into the largest-size 2x2 (39mm), it's a "crown".

Define "fits". I can put a dime in a dollar size 2X2.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/13/2010 4:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Define "fits". I can put a dime in a dollar size 2X2.

Ah...but the dime also fits into the next size down, so Sap would say it isn't a crown. :)

Learn More...
Australia
13126 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're talking about the "best fit", like regression in Statistics.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05