Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

guess this vam  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  01:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
while many will talk of vams, and many will ask what your VAM is...
I have decided to ask you who participate and those of you who lurk in the back round to take part in "GUESS THE VAM".... I intend to continue to post vams in order that you all will take part of guessing, contributing, attributing....... not "your" coins
but the coins themselves.. as they are... be they on any list or just common.......uninteresting (as far as the lists goes) vams
WHATEVER they may be....
SO as far as my first coin goes.. its really a beat up Morgan
So you old timers please hold back....this is not VAM 101....its more like you and a friend has an old coin or your in the junk bucket...
So....annies been beat real bad...what do you think? or guess.....
I will wait for at least a day to a day and a half.. to give everyone a chance............Old timers please wait..as many post just to follow...and that is not what I need here, post CRAP if you must post..and lets see where this leads.....

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must be pure silver left in this ole girl. I would guess Vam-7 High Date. nlp
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh, heh....Is that one of those silver dollars that your grandpa gave you Gene?
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still don't know know what VAM means.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check this out Jaymon:

http://goccf.com/t/35547
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Van Allen and Mallis ( VAM). The authors of the cataloge or book of variations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1150 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first looked at this Morgan I thought 'fake.' I mean, it looks cast to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WE HAVE A WINNER

I purposely posted and let all who had more experience, to wait so that
others who have not seen counterfiets..to see something is not right, OR .....use there power of observation.......

"POWERS OF OBSERVATION"..and that is the initial step in vamming and learning to attribute your own coins....its not enough to ask others when you have not a clue your self and not even tried to research and LEARN what this hobby is about....I found this at a gun show some months back...at a brief glance.......and it struck me as....Somethings not right here...I asked if I could see it up close...huge die breaks and sunken fields...and then the close up examination that all the letters are not crisp, even for a worn dollar...this coin is an example of coins being sold where the pictures are never clear enough for you to spot them, mine are hi-def
so that you can see , yet there are many more counterfeits that are amazingly good.......I thought for the first post in this thread
I would expose....the first lesson of vamming...Observation. which is the heart of vamming.......Well done.....Gene
buy the way we are not done in this thread......
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK Gene,!! Here is the next "GUESS THE VAM"

This one is interesting and one to watch out for!

"The Necessity of Procuring Good Intelligence is Apparent & Need not be Further Urged"
General George Washington
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sweet coin!!
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '89 cc are among the few that I do recognize Russ, but your high resolution pictures cause me to capitulate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin.. wish I had one!!
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me guess then....I don't recall the VAM number, but I think it is known as the "Blacked out A reverse".
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you have an great eye for detail Zee!

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh, heh....Russ, I think that I am the only one here reckless enough to venture a guess based on those photos.... From what I can see, the reverse looks kinda like a VEDS v-2A, but the date looks sorta v-5ish.... Maybe you could give us some clues like close ups or narrative of the main identifiers?

By the way Gene, (I am saving your previous responses to this)...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK ! Here is why Vamming has a home or place in collecting.
This is a Vam-7 Counterfeit. It was discovered in a counterfeit PCGS slab That had a Correct ID number of an AU-58 1889 CC coin.
Zee... you put it well as you had at some time looked at all the die types and mint mark placements. This one did not match.

In cases like this a BIG Red flag should to come up. On almost all rarer dates the chance of finding a New reveres Die is slim, and on big dollar coins it could save many buyers from buying a fake.

If nothing eles Vamming will and has weeded out counterfeits. And then it comes down to Know your coins and Buyer Beware.
"The Necessity of Procuring Good Intelligence is Apparent & Need not be Further Urged"
General George Washington
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05