Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 DDO die state questions  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  02:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking at 2 1995P-1DO-001's and comparing them to die state markers on coppercoins.

Coin #1 obverse matches the EDS example. Has the die gouges around LIBERTY, no crack on the head.
Coin #2 obverse has some MDS markers. Most notably the crack on his head. There are no polish lines around the motto or the date though.

Flip the coins over.

Coin #1 has the die cracks on the memorial and the gouges/pitting under the NT.
Coin #2, has no die cracks or pitting.

Am I missing something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK!

Coin 1 - no crack obverse, cracks on reverse (col's 1&2 and above bay 5)

Coin2 - crack on obverse (from the top of his ear into his hair and it looks like it goes down to the middle of his neck), no cracks on reverse

Can you hear me now?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25506 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you give us a close up of the LIB area and the IN area. Reverse dies were switched out when they started to crack too much. Not all remained a pair through out their life. I'm watching for die flow in these areas. So images of that area would be a great help.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go, coop. I hope this is what you are after. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Coin 1:

Coin 2 :

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, coin 1 made it's run with a set of dies, the reverse was replaced with a new die creating the run of coin 2? That certainly makes a lot more sense than any other scenarios I came up with and had crossed my mind. That could really mess up trying to match die markers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25506 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is why markers are not always there. It is a help when they are, but things happen to change the dies appearance/changing.

#1 late MDS die state. Die flow lines are beginning to get stronger
#2 LDS die state. Heavier die flow lines. The LIB on LIBERTY area usually tells the whole story.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gutkowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scooby Nice 95's when did you find them ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had the first one for awhile.

The second one was part of a small collection that I recently purchased. It's in an old PCI slab graded MS67 that looks true to grade.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are beautiful 95s. I still need to obtain one for my collection.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05