Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about U.S. Proof Sets?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired two U.S. Proof Sets. A 1980 and a 1981. Are these silver coins in there? Did the Mint make both silver and clad proofs? Thanks for the info...I'm learning something everyday!
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DylansDad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe there were any silver proof sets made in those years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additionally, these two Proof Sets have actually "decresed" in value from their original issue price.
This is why many of us collectors buy these Sets and break them apart to put the coins into coin albums like Dansco.
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TripAces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What were these 2 proof sets originally issued as? what are they priced at now?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that there was a Type 1 and a Type 2 on the 1981 set...anyone know the difference? I see there is a big difference in price.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12421 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The S punch for the mintmark was changed part of the way through the year, just like in 1979. Here is a link to photos of the SBA Type 2, it will be the same for all the 1981 proof coins.
ANA R-3151318
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15886 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Additionally, these two Proof Sets have actually "decresed" in value from their original issue price.
This is why many of us collectors buy these Sets and break them apart to put the coins into coin albums like Dansco.

Not all of us. Some put them in our Whitman Classic Albums.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks...see there you go...I've learned 3 new things in the last hour...break time for the brain. Thanks guys!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First and foremost, there were no silver proofs in 1980 or 1981. There was something far more interesting minted in 81 which was the "Clear S" Suzi. 80 and 81 type 1 sets have decreased in value over the years from their issue price of $10 and $11 dollars respectively. The clear S has taken off to the moon and is retailing for around $300-$350.
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 1980 was issued at 10 dollars and is now worth 10. and the 1981 is issued at 11 and is now worth 9.50.
(I am using the RedBook 2009 so prices would be on the upper end)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking and still can't tell which type I have...of course luck says no way. The loupe I have isn't good enough or I am just wishing. I'll have to wait for more magnification later next week...thanks again!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05