Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anybody have a redbook?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  4:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is silly - I don't have a RedBook. I view then as the MSRP of the Coin World, and use other sources to price coins. However, I have a Feuchtwanger I want to sell - and I understand the 2011 RedBook has them listed on page 391.

Could someone look the price up for me - in the lowest 2 grades they have listed?

thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1837 One Cent: VF$125, XF$210
1837 3 Cent (Coat of Arms): VF$700, XF$1500
1837 3 Cent Eagle: VF$1200, XF$3800
1864 3 Cent: VF$1700, XF$2800
Pillar of the Community
United States
2660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1837 one cnet eagle vf $125 ef $210
1837 3 cent New York coat of arms vf $700 ef $1500
1837 3 cent eagle vf $1200 ef $3800
1864 3 cent eagle vf $1700 ef $2800
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Tim & Littleboy - The lowest grade they have in there is a VF?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RedBook has a lot of information in other than prices. I agree that I don't use a RedBook for pricing but it is important IMO to have a copy around to look up the other information (weight, diameter, composition and more). I also use the RedBook for information on colonials, territorial gold and other coins that I might not have but still like to read about (like Feuchtwanger cents). I think it is important to have it in every coin collectors reference library.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shavill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you guys use for pricing then?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I use the monthly Coin Values magazine from Coin World since I subscribe to the paper and the values magazine is with it. All the dealers I know use the grey sheet so this is the best option. It is expensive for the full blown suscription but you can buy samples of the different types of grey sheets periodically just to stay in the pricing loop. Sometimes at coin shows you can find a dealer selling grey sheets 1-2 months old. There are also several online coin pricing sites. Whatever you use just make sure you compare their prices to actual dealer prices. Alot of these sites and periodicals have inflated prices so if you know some actual dealer prices you can figure out what percentage to deduct from your source to get a realistic price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nolawyer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally use the grey sheet for most values. You can download a grey sheet and monthly supplement for a decent price and the values don't change that much weekly to affect the average collector. If silver rises or drops significantly, you may need to get a new download. I think the Numismedia site is also a good tool for valuing coins.

I like the Coin Values magazine for their grading articles, but I find their values to be on the high side.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15886 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For pricing you really can't beat eBay. Regardless of the Red Book, Blue Book, Numismatic Magazine, the PCGS forums price guide and on and on and on. Nothing really matters until you want to sell a coin and then the going price is on eBay. Naturally other coin web sites and dealer's web sites may show a coins prices but that is for buying. To sell a coin, what is going for that coin on eBay is the real value.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For pricing you really can't beat eBay

true, you just have to weed out the crazy high winning and the crazy lowest win, then add all the other selling prices together and then divide it by how many auction prices you used and that will be the average the coin has been selling for in that particular grade. I do find that the CW monthly guide is pretty good though because that is basically what they do but they don't only use eBay they use all the popular auction sites as well
Learn More...
United States
47732 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you guys use for pricing then?
I use NumisMedia most often. Keep in mind it is a retail price guide, but it is updated more often.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is it is the same one you posted a couple weeks ago?

if it is, I don't know if it would meet a VF grade but I am not sure how to grade these either
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05