Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickel Proofs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,025Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  3:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone have any ideas where a good place to get proof nickels is? preferably from the seventies to the present
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deltron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a lot of my modern proof nickels from eBay. At a pretty nice price too. Just take your time if you choose to go that route and you'll come out paying under blue book prices.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A local coin dealer can probably work with you and get high grade examples for decent prices. This will cost more than Ebay but will be easier and probably yield better examples.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldduster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the coins I see on Ebay that are advertised as proof coins make me nervous. I like to authenticate what I am purchasing. I often times will pay a little more at the local coin shop but at least I know what I have in hand when I leave.
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add insideout to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found that buying the proof set and cracking the case is about the most affordable way to go. Especially if you collect more than just one type.
I collect Lincolns and Jeffersons and Soon to start On Ikes and Maybe SBA and The halves haven't decided yet. But as I'll need Atleast 3 proof coins I might as well buy the set and break em up
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinczar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased many of my proofs off of ebay. You just have to look for them and you will find that they pop up occasionally and are priced below RedBook values.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add northwestseeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Ill start stalking some auctions!
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have found that buying the proof set and cracking the case is about the most affordable way to go.
I agree.

But if you just want the nickels and not mess with the other coins in the set, the best place might be a coin show. I like coin shows because you can see the coin in hand before purchasing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,025Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05