Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help with valuation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying to determine value of a dollar bill I have. The serial number is G11111111C. The bill has 1974 on it. Know nothing about the subject, so I would like some help from you professionals. From what I gathered over the internet....the value may range anywhere from $400 to $2000.00 dollars. Seems hard to believe. Is this a special bill or something.

Been in the family for years..in good shape...used to play liar's poker with it. Thanks for any assistance.

Allaces.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see a scan or pic to help determine condition.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ikandiggit for responding. Limited computer skills here, but I think I can manage a picture. Is there a JPEG limit for size dimensions, or does the site automatically size the picture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2011  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The site does not auto resize. If the note has been in the family for years it sounds like it is worn and well handled. It would still have value, only not the high end of your spectrum.

It is a special number called a solid. People love strange things.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's a picture....hope it comes through
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
didn't go through....what gives...do I have to copy and paste it. Most forums have an add attachment bar at the bottom of the message area...and then a subsequent "place inline" function. Not seeing any of those things. Sorry for the ignorance
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look on the left side of the screen there is a tutorial on how to post a picture. And I think this button you were looking for is the picture of a green camera to post a picture.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's try again. Only took pic of front. The back is same cond.

Think I got it.....OK all you pro's out there, what do I have and what is the market value. I don't understand why it would have much value at all.

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone wants a different picture of it, let me know.

The bill is actually a lot darker green than what the picture shows. I guess the camera's flash washes it out a bit.

Glad to have found this site...I have some real, real old coins too that I have no idea about.

Although the solid dollar has been in the family for years, it has been stored in a rigid dollar case for years, and unused.

Thanks.....Allaces
Valued Member
Guatemala
357 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JMerrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A closer shot would be better, and perhaps another shot closeup of George Washington. From that picture, there appears to be a significant fold mark through the center, which would affect the value to a large degree.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 3 fold marks for sure..but no rips, tears, etc. Actually the folds have subsided over the past 20 years being in a staight case.

When I try to take a close up...the flash on the camera whites everything out big time.

Any suggestions on how to get a close up without the flash washing things out?
Valued Member
Guatemala
357 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JMerrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a scanner, or access to a scanner?
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iamkayelem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check out this eBay listing and compare you bill to it for a rough idea of what yours may be valued at

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-1-SOLID-SE...em3f06bbdb28
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allaces to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I don't have access to a scanner, so pictures will have to do. That link to eBay is awesome! I will follow that auction to see the bill brings in value. My bill kinda looks like that one in terms of condition. Perhaps my bill will come in at the low to middle range of market value.

Thanks very much guys for the feedback....much appreciated.

Would there be any significance of having a "G" and a "C" on the bill versus other federal regions?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2011  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't understand why it would have much value at all.

While all serial numbers are unique there are only 8 chances per block to find a solid serial. In other words 8 chances out of 96 million, or about 1 in 12 million. Consider yourself lucky people like me search hundreds of thousands of notes and NEVER find one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05