Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scalloped World Coins In 2010

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  4:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a puzzle. I'm looking for a world coin that has 12 scallops, is about the size of a quarter (~24mm), weighs 5.10g, is magnetic and is most likely made of nickel-plated steel. I'd like to find a match to my error coin, a Canada 25c on foreign planchet. Any ideas?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4103 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
India?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

I'd say it was supposed to be a Bahamas 10 cents.
Edited by svslav
02/11/2011 4:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3151 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was Hong Kong 2 dollar coin but don't know if coins are of plated steel coin. Wouldn't hurt to get one example and compare it side by side.

Still, pretty neat!
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the ideas! Does Hong Kong still have their own money? I thought they were part of China now.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin!
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1020 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2011  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hong Kong has its own money, it is a seperate entity within China!
Learn More...
Australia
13137 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2011  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to NumisMaster, the new 2007-dated Bahamas 10¢ coins were made of cupronickel, but that may be in error. And of course the RCM may have changed metals on them in the past couple of years.

The Hong Kong $2 is much larger than a quarter, and the 20¢ is much smaller and brassy-yellow. I seriously doubt their new Chinese owners would look to Canada to make their coins.

Unless the RCM has managed to pick up some rather unusual clients in the past couple of years (like maybe Swaziland) I think the Bahamas are your best bet.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2011  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the intel Sap, I'll start by looking for Bahamas 10¢. It seems lots of countries are getting into nickel plated steel as an alternative -- it's about as debased as you can get, but that's another story.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2011  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful error !
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda0080 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you find any info on this error? I have a Canadian Olympic Biathlon quarter that looks the same. I believe mine may be a bit heavier.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10149 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Panda0080

To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda0080 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda0080 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05