Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Info On Possible WW2 Star Of David Token With B In Center

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,945Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2011  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Guitarzak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father recently gave me some coins that his grandfather had left to him and I was going through and cataloging them and came across one that has left me stumped, little background, my great grandfather fought in the battle of bulge, got a purple heart and returned some time after, this token was one of a few Polish/Soviet Russia/German coins/medals given to me.
It is a bronze color, on one side is what I imagine is the Star of David with a b in the center of the star, on the obverse side is a beer mug. No words, dates, or anything else to identify it by.
I Would like to know if anyone knows where this token might have been obtained, or just any interesting info on it. Thanks for the help, I will eventually list the other coins I obtained when I get this mystery figured out!

Ps... hopefully the pictures are not too big... had to use my phone... if any better pictures are required please let me know!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2011  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a beer token, but you might want to wait on other responses...
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guitarzak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Darth Anarchus, thats about all I could figure out about it so far... hopefully I can get a good history on where it was used or possibly where exactly it came from, I personally figured Belgium but obviously I know nothing about this token.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were popular throughout Europe, particullarly Germany; more specifically, So. Germ. "In southern Germany the hexagram is the symbol for the
tapping of beer and sign of the brewer's guild. In German this is called
'Bierstern' (beer star) or 'Brauerstern' (brewer's star)."
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guitarzak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fioti, that makes a lot more sense then the weird Dan Brown Free Mason conspiracy I had concocted in my head! ( not quite as cool though). Is there any way to trace it to the brewery or bar it might have came from?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since this has generic symbols, it's prolly like patriotic CWT, which were used by anyone. Storecards will have info about the merchant, but generics are impossible to trace.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2011  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guitarzak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well in that case my work may be done, I may scour the internet for a bit longer but I am satisfied with the info I have gotten, thanks biggfredd, fioti, and Darth Anarchus for the info! One more question though, any suggested collector value on this token, I'm sure it wont be much but I always like to know what my coins are worth even though I do not plan on selling. Thanks again!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2011  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hold out for a buck, unless I saw a bunch of them somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to do some digging on this.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rjj1208 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guitarzak! I know this thread is 9 years old, but my grandfather also fought in the Battle of the Bulge, also got a Purple Heart there, and also left me one of these exact same coins. Wondering if you were ever able to find any additional information about it? I imagine it is a beer token as others have stated; I also have seen the star referred to as a "brewers star". By the way, my grandfather was stationed in Antwerp, Belgium, and was a rifleman in the Army. I have more info about his company if you're interested. What about Yours?

-Rich
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,945Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05