Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 CC Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2011  9:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ralph to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys! Haven't been around all that much lately, so I thought I'd post this one just to get back among y'all. It came to me graded and entombed in a slab from IGC. I'll put up a scan of the slab in a few days - in the meantime, post your opinions as to what you think the grade of this coin is. Enjoy.

Ralph

1889CC

Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2011  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 to VF-20
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2011  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kinda think VF25/30.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2011  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjp130 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im new in town but an old lover of Morgans, I would throw it a VF-30.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3285 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2011  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own a VF-30 one that is PCGS graded. This looks exactly like it so I'll say VF-30 nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2011  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ralph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, this is a scan of the slab - a mite fuzzy, but still showing well enough to see the assigned grade.

Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 compares well with an 1885cc that I have that is NGC slabbed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ralph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, after I freed it from it's little plastic prison, and comparing it with the pictures and description in Making The Grade Vol II, I believed it was closer to VF-30 than VF-35, and that was the main reason for posting it - see if others thought the same as me. Apparently you do because the majority of you who responded agree with VF-30. Thank you for your responses.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5047 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ralph,
Welcome back. I also think the coin is a tad overgraded at VF-35; I agree with a VF-30 consensus. Grading services tend to give CC Morgans a positive grade bump in general and that seems to be the case here. Nothing drastic, just a notch higher than a common date would likely be awarded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3285 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2011  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is mine for comparison:

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05