Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 3CN

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  10:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm very interested to see what ya'll think about this coin. Again, my poor photography leaves a lot to be desired. All of the lines in the III are clearly visible & complete, which leads me to believe that some of the lack of detail in the hair on the obverse is due to a weak strike. There is considerable flatness on the cheek & brow.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another toughie Unlike the 1885, I am fairly certain this one is a business strike. I do not see much in the way of luster but certain details like the coronet beading and leaf ribs are strong which leads me to believe that this could be an EF45/AU50 coin. Center strike flatness on 3CNs is quite common which leads to alot of undergrading in the series.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2011  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wei Fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like there's quite a bit of wear in the hair and the ribs on some of the leaves are worn down. I'm seeing this as a nice VF, but not better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a VF to me too, but it could be higher with a weak strike.
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is at least an XF-40 coin with a weak strike.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05