Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Dates For Type Sets

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,900Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1921 Peace dollars are rarely fully struck and command a huge premium.
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No plans to upgrade any of those coins?
Nope. Once a Dansco hole is filled, it is filled.

Now with the Ikes, I ended up starting a second higher grade set in PCGS holders. And you know full well I have thought about doing a second higher grade type set in PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That works for me. !
CCF Advertiser
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  04:04 am  Show Profile   Check Paradime Coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would recommend 1866 as you can find with motto and no motto and most types changed during those years. type sets are fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Best Dates For Type Sets

The ultimate answer for me would be all key dates in mint stated condition.

I wonder if anything like that has ever been attempted?

I'm sitting here thinking, what would my "fantasy" 7070 consist of?
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a Type Set collector myself, I've found there's no "right way or wrong way" to go on subjective issues. Collect what YOU like. For my sets, I decided to go with more common dates, so that I can afford a higher grade for that Type.

In addition to the above, I discovered several strategies a few years ago:
1. For many coins in higher grades, it's actually less expensive to buy a Proof coin than a Mint State business strike in the same grade. For example, with Shield nickels, common date business strikes like 1882 or 1883 in MS66 have a PCGS Price Guide value of $850, where those same years as PR66 have a PCGS Price Guide value of $600. So not only can you sometimes save money by buying Proof coins for your Type Set, but you end up with coins that (in my opinion) have greater eye appeal due to the usual better strike, much higher luster, and watery mirrors. These coins more truly represent what these particular coins were designed to look like, at their best!

2. Tied in to the above strategy, particularly for those collectors who partake in the Registry of PCGS or NGC, a CAM version of a Proof coin typically counts as a full grade higher in the Registry than the grade without the CAM suffix (a PR66CAM usually counts the same in the Registry as a PR67, and the same as MS67). Using my same Shield nickel example above, those same common dates in MS67 have a PCGS Price Guide value of $3,500, while a PR67 is $1,150, but a PR66CAM is only priced at $800!

Steve
Edited by Winesteven
12/16/2020 01:09 am
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2020  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've found there's no "right way or wrong way" to go on subjective issues. Collect what YOU like.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,900Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05