Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Rare 50c Coin

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 7,041Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2011  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for sharing sel_69l
I think 3k to 5k is a reasonable estimate for one of the '88 patterns.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2011  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have any of these slipped into circulation?
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2011  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you are talking about the trial patterns, then no, they are not technically currency as they have no denomination and would more accurately be described as a token. the RAM have (or so I have heard) acknowledged that they are struck on a 50c blank but otherwise deny any knowledge.
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2011  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what about your '88 CoA? Any pics yet?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2011  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hasn't come :( Hopefully it'll be here by Monday.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2011  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why waste some design effort? Obviously, they have hauled out the designs for the pattern 50 cents, to be re used on subsequent coin designs.

Just adds interest to the original pattern!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1244 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2011  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, can't wait for pics :)
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2011  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aarong, did it show up?
Valued Member
Australia
85 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add floridapalms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the parliment house 1988 coin mentioned?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1244 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, the 1988 parliament house was a trial coin for a 50c commemorative coin, but never went ahead; instead the design was used in the $5 aluminium bronze and $1 silver subscription proof coins.
http://www.triton.vg/images/trial3.jpg
http://www.triton.vg/trial.html
Valued Member
Australia
85 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2011  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add floridapalms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Australia Coin,I am still confused about this 50c and 1988 date?
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2011  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, it is not a true 50c (doesn't mean I don't want one ;-)
It was struck on a 50c planchet, but doesn't have a demonimation, issuing country or date.
So in reality, it should be more accurately refereed to as a medallion or some such.
Second, it is widely held that this pattern was struck at the RAM in 1988 (even tho' no evidence on the 'coin' itself).
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
turn up yet? vapour-ware?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the late reply,

I bought the coin from a friend who now lives in a different state. He had financial problems and that is why I got it for a small price. Apparently he resolved his financial problems so guess what? He kept the coin. He did refund my money.

Maybe I should have received the coin before I made the topic. I am sorry if I got your hopes up.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 7,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: