Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2013  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, come now. It is only mildly agonizing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2651 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2013  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just read that CVS Pharmacy is now ID'ing and tracking people that buy Acetone from their stores...I guess its used in making illegal drugs. They probably think a lot of coin collectors have meth labs... <-------(maybe they are right since this site has a meth making smiley face)
Edited by Jayman931
08/16/2013 5:18 pm
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2013  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just read that CVS Pharmacy is now ID'ing and tracking people that buy Acetone from their stores...
They have since changed their mind...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...er-purchase/

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2013  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
mildly agonizing

You have such a way with words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2651 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2013  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They have since changed their mind...

That was fast
Learn More...
United States
73250 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2013  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That was fast
I know. I was looking for a link to back you up (because I remembered seeing it on the news) and found that they reversed course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5023 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2013  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted earlier in this thread that ANACS recommended using Acetone to remove PVC damage.

The information no longer seems to be on their site now that they offer their "Conservation" service for a fee.

Go figure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2016  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...@deepdark1972
When this happens to me I use a porcupine needle and a microscope. The needle is soft enough it has not scratched anything I tried it on yet.

This device might preserve your quills a bit longer while making them easier and more effective to use:

http://goccf.com/t/270168&SearchTerms=broken,quill
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist6 wrote:

Quote:
Using acetone is not considered "cleaning" a coin as acetone is not capable of chemically reacting with coinage metals under normal circumstances. It only removes surface contamination/debris and nothing else.

This seems to be the key point, but I would be interested in everyone's comments on something I experienced. I was experimenting on a gunky Hershey-brown 1950 Lincoln that happened to have a struck-through-wire line across the bust. After the "conservation," everything looked OK, but the line was now bright exposed copper. If it is true that acetone cleans organic gunk but does not react with metal, then my untutored assumption would be that the "trench" got filled with gunk before it tarnished. It's a little hard to picture how that would happen, but I can't think of another explanation. Any other guesses? Also, for this reason, or any other, would you assume that a brown copper coin with a "bright" scratch would be rejected by a third party grader? An interesting sidelight on that is that I have a PCGS graded 1914-D, a humble brown F12, that has a very tiny scratch of that nature on Lincoln's tie. I've been curious whether someone missed it, or if that's OK.
Edited by Centsei
09/25/2016 1:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I searched all over town to purchase some 'cloth' gloves. I held a potential MS69-70 deep cameo proof coin and noticed a small 1 mm spot and 'gently' moved this glove's fingertip over it in an attempt to dislodge the spot.

It removed the spot but left what appears to be strands of fiber adhered to the fields.

Here are some unanswered questions:

1) At least for this 1st question and independent of the fiber issue could truly residue-free acetone (from a hardware store) potentially leave a residue rendering this coin incapable of getting an MS70 designation?

2) Should this type of residue-free acetone successfully remove these fabric strands?

3) Since I could not find any other 'cloth-type' white gloves to handle this coin, I had to buy them at WMT but later noticed that these gloves had a label stating,'83% acrylic, 16% polyester & 1% Spandex'. Even though I just ever-so-slightly tapped/moved over the spot on the surface could this fabric combo have potentially ruined the surface since it was not a 100% cotton glove?

After the fact I know I should have simply used a 100% pure cotton swab Q-tip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
925 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) pure acetone will leave no residue. If you're really worried about it you could buy higher (lab) grade stuff from a chemical company, but this is likely overkill. The only issue that could possibly arise is if the acetone has picked up a lot of junk from other coins it can cause them to be redeposited on a fresh coin with drying, hence the common advice to rinse in fresh acetone before drying.

2) It might help to remove the strands, alternatively you could try rinsing them off with DI water since they might just need to be physically dislodged from the surface. And then rinse in acetone to expedite drying and avoid spotting

3) I wouldn't worry about the difference between synthetic and fabric gloves for this. Fact is, as soon as you decide to wipe/scrape the surface of a coin with any cloth, however soft, you are taking a big risk of marring the surface from whatever microscopic particulate that might already be on the surface and dragged across. In the future if you want to remove a spot or debris, I would instead recommend a high pressure stream from a lab squirt bottle or the like, since it will not risk scratching in this manner
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shirley Lodge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry new here but have to ask what is the norm or rule. Leave natural or clean?
I have allot of old pennies and hate to ruin one. Personally I lie the old patina of a coin.
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Leave natural or clean?

Leave it alone.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
"Coins are like potato chips, you can't have just one." - Anonymous

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shirley Lodge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats what I have been doing since there are some that stick out with different colors...I have some neat reds and even a black 1945 thats weird stuff. Cant imagine people coloring these things but one nevers knows
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Leave natural or clean

to CCF

The following is an older but still applicable 2009 thread that focuses on cleaning copper cents. I say copper since some are made of zinc-coated steel...

Also, I agree that you should NEVER forget the following cleaning sequence which is further broken down in the thread below: 1st de-ionized H20, then acetone & finally xylene.

Best of luck
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05