The reverse design is the One Pillar Pagoda in Hanoi, which is an unusual enough structure.
If it's the colour treatment of that particular image (yellow on white), I'm not sure if it's an artist rendering, or someone doing some enamelwork. But the standard coin doesn't look like this (see the image in the Numista link posted by jbuck above).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
It is a photo. Which is why I posted such an unexpected result. This may be proof: I tilt the coin in the light and see how differently the color reflects. I've never lied or jerked anyone around here on this forum. I later thought maybe I should post in the photography forum.
Oh! I see now! It is like an inverse cameo photo; white fields instead of black.
You did a great job providing the second angled shot of the coin.
I was under the false assumption it was a photo you found and never intended to accuse you personally of doing anything wrong. I offer my apologies for doubting the photo's authenticity.
Inverse cameo- I didn't think of it that way. So yes you are right. And I see it during some sessions. Coin placement, lighting angles, diffiusers and reflectivity can produce a "flip-flop" of field resulting in either black or white. A coin on white paper can be white background, or it may flip to a black background even though no black paper is used. Just a phenomena of my equipment and how it is all manipulated.
Looks like someone was doing axial lighting on a brilliant/cameo proof with very flat fields, and then adjusted the image brightness to blow out the entire field. Not a great photo technique but for sure gives a very interesting result.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at: http://macrocoins.com
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use