| Author |
Replies: 13 / Views: 350 |
|
|
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
208 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
992 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196342 Posts |
I will defer to Victor, but I have to say I like the cameo effect! 
|
|
Valued Member
 United Arab Emirates
208 Posts |
The sharp details and a price tag of $54 for the entire set makes me feel like this deal is too good to be true.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts |
Edited by Empty_Pockets Yesterday 6:41 pm
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34563 Posts |
Quote: I like the cameo effect That sand/desert patina may have been added recently. 
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
|
Valued Member
 United Arab Emirates
208 Posts |
Quote: That sand/desert patina may have been added recently. This is what I'm investigating. I'm very new to Roman coins. Lots of homework to be done.
|
|
Valued Member
 United Arab Emirates
208 Posts |
Quote: Here is a good website on what to do. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3496 Posts |
Twenty years ago one might have pulled these coins out of a large bowl full at a 'coin show' and paid $6-8 dollars apiece For a brief period the internet made ancients quite affordable ! I still have a few treasures I scooped up back then But the internet brought in the 'comedians' who now list similar coins for outrageous prices $54 is a nice price . But personally I wouldn't bite much beyond that ! But I am a notorious 'cheapskate' !
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196342 Posts |
|
|
New Member
United States
49 Posts |
Patina looks fake, likely its covering up some corrosion/bronze disease pitting, especially on the obverse of the Constantine campgate.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts |
henryvoight...What makes you cue in on the Constantine campgate? Joanne 
|
|
New Member
United States
49 Posts |
Im not the best at explaining things, so bear with me.
Look at the cheek, you can see some of the metal of the cheek, but there's large areas of sand at the same level as these parts of the face, where the metal of the face should be more or less flat, on the same level. Also, the lips seem higher in relief than the cheek even though they should be lower or at the same level. It looks like there was bronze disease that pitted out parts of the face and then someone filled in these pits with sand, and then liberally applied alot more sand on the rest of the coin to make it look more presentable. The pitting looks the worst on the neck. If it was bronze disease there's a possibility it might reactivate under the sand and eat the coin from the inside out.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts |
henryvoight...I can see what your explaining now. Makes sense. Thank you for describing it to me, its very much appreciated.  Joanne  Edit: And this is why I buy my coins from Forvm.
Edited by Empty_Pockets Today 10M ago
|
| |
Replies: 13 / Views: 350 |
|