Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Help - 1914 Yuan Shih Kai Coin With A General Hat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,662Next Topic  
New Member

2 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2011  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hellos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
hi , I am a new member from singapore. recently , I have come across a 1914 yuan shih kai, general with a hat on , in a flea market. I weighted the coin ( 41.1g ), diameter around 39mm. could anyone please help to see if the coin weight is correct or not . thanks
Valued Member
vb3347's Avatar
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2011  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

The diameter is correct but the coin should only weigh 26.7 g according to my Krause catalog. Also, the coin you are describing is VERY rare, only 20,000 were minted, so I can almost guarantee it is a fake.
Pillar of the Community
Peter THOMAS's Avatar
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2011  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day & welcome,

I hope to visit Singapore in the next year or so. I'll ask you for some advice about the best place for coin supplies.
Of the foreign coins that I find in my change, Singaporean are the most frequently seen. A few days ago, I got a near-Unc 2010 Sin$1.

Your coin is sometimes called the "fat man dollar". If you go to this link, you recognze your man straight away -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan_Shikai

Fake copies of this coin are widely seen in PRC: nearly every stall in every night market had these and other replica dollars, when I was last there.

So, with the weight being off, I'd expect your coin to be a "replica". In my limited experience, replicas are usually underweight, so I'm wondering what's different about yours: possibly it's made of lead (Pb), or has a lead-core ?

Peter in Darwin, Australia


Edited by Peter THOMAS
05/22/2011 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
EgCollector's Avatar
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2011  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CC forum
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Forums