Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

"Grade" Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 11,073Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Libertad's Avatar
Canada
3692 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's nice challenge, on the eye and on the pocketbook. I agree that it will be an education.
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just looking at the PCGS Population report, and I found three years that are in my budget, and also have a coin in every grade.

The Years are 1878-S, 1883-O, and 1899-O

I also want to use a coin from the 19th century. I know it's not really important to some, but when showing off a set to someone who is not a collector, they would be more interested in seeing coins that have a date starting with an 18.

I don't really have plans to go at this set "full force" it's just something I would like to put together casually.

Just a little update.
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it's been just over a year since I last posted in this thread. (It's just a set I will put together slowly).

Luckily, this time I am posting an update to the set. I am looking for low-grade coins right now, just because they will probably take years to find. I did find a PO-01 in a PCGS registry set, but I doubt they would be willing to sell from their #1 ranked set.

This coin is currently 1 of 7 graded FR-02, by PCGS.









Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
07/15/2017 11:29 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The P01 will probably be tough, but I don't think you'll have any trouble filling the grades above this one. It's a great issue to choose, because they circulated heavily and were of high mintage, cheap up to MS65 (relatively speaking).
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, The PO-01 will be the hardest by far. Currently only 4 have been graded by PCGS.

I have sent a couple messages to collectors who have PO-01's in registry sets (I don't think they will sell them, but it never hurts to ask).

I have also noticed that a lot of the other lower grade coins (VG, F, VF) that have been graded are expensive VAMS. I will need to keep my eye out for one that's not attributed.
Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
12/16/2013 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
CoinCollector2012's Avatar
United States
8137 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting idea. could this work with mercs up to a 67
Pillar of the Community
stampvirgin's Avatar
United States
1247 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i find it interesting that people will pay to get a heavily worn coin graded.
More interesting that people collect them.

But I keep all silver coins I come ac-cross no matter what the condition.
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
interesting idea. could this work with mercs up to a 67

You could check certain dates on the PCGS CoinFacts Site.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/
Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
12/16/2013 6:20 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just snag raw ones off ebay in the lower grades. No reason to counterfeit a circulated 1878-S.
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, good point.
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to trust circulated early dates easily, on the assumption it took a few years for the counterfeiters to catch up.
Moderator
Learn More...
nickelsearcher's Avatar
United States
15959 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update ... not sure how I missed this earlier ... but enjoyed the read and your FR02 example.

Grading sets are not that uncommon ...I personally know a few collectors who are putting them together.

For myself ... I am assembling a grading set of 1921 Peace dollars ... PO01 through MS65.

Looking forward to any future updates on your progress.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2013  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks David,

I would be interested in seeing pictures of your Peace dollar Grade set.
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2014  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Update to this set! This time an AG-03.

It's not in the holder I would like, so I will need to cross it to PCGS eventually.

The seller who I bought this from ( ebay purchase) had written that this is a VAM-27 (Which is a Top 100) in the description. Looking at VAMWorld, it looks like that is correct. However, I have been wrong before.







Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
07/15/2017 11:35 pm
Rest in Peace
dave700x's Avatar
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2014  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick CB! The 78-s long Knocks are hard to find in any condition.
  Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 11,073Next Topic
Page: of 5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Forums