Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Coin From Stobe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,044Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2013  09:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Anybody recognise the ruler?

I can make out ANT on the obv.

Coin-From-Stobe

Coin-From-Stobe
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2013  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ignore this I have posted it before.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2013  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish the image was a little larger and clearner, the best that I can tell is that it might be Caracalla.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2013  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be ........ but probably Elagabalus who also went by the same name.
Pillar of the Community
Masis's Avatar
United Kingdom
946 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2013  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the size around 21- 25 mm in diameter?
Victory advancing left is a prominent design on the coinage of Stobi.
Possibly Caracalla, "MVNI STOBE", an example such as Varbanov 3961 (R3).
Edited by Masis
07/31/2013 7:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Masis, can you confirm Varbanov number please?

It is 22mm 5.22g
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have it as Moushmov 6554, it may the same coin as the Varbanov reference.
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moushmov 6554 is Varbanov 4104 and the coin is slightly different.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an image of Varbanov 3961 so I don't know what the difference might be.
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant find a Varbanov 3961.
Pillar of the Community
Masis's Avatar
United Kingdom
946 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got the referance example from my Varbanov book.

The correct obverse legend is needed + the reverse legend. MVNI STOBE or MVNIC STOBE?

For example, at 22mm it could be Varbanov 3961 - 63.
Edited by Masis
08/02/2013 08:15 am
Pillar of the Community
pishpash's Avatar
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to say. I can see MVN the next letter could either be I or C and the rest is worn. I might send it to the British Museum. I can't take a photo as downloading on to (don't buy it) windows 8 is causing it to crash. Taking it in for repair tomorrow.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,044Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Forums