Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

William IV Halfpenny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
EFLargeCents's Avatar
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2015  1:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I had a really tough time trying to locate a nice example of a William IV halfpenny. I ended up with one that doesn't make UNC but has nice surfaces and appeal with some glossy brown luster remaining. Is there a particular reason it is so difficult to find nice examples? I ended up paying more than I thought I would have had to for this one (went way past book in the auction). It is also the least scarce year from the three years of issue.


William-IV-Halfpenny
Bedrock of the Community
NumisRob's Avatar
United Kingdom
18876 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2015  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't see really nice ones very often in the UK. I suppose the halfpenny was one of the most commonly used coins in the 1830s, and, being pure copper, they got worn down to F and VG fairly rapidly.
Pillar of the Community
EFLargeCents's Avatar
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight NumisRob. I wonder if that is why I also never see halfpennies from Victoria's early reign (1838 through the 1840's). For that matter, it was a bit difficult to find a George IV example as well, but I managed to snag a really nice one of those at auction. On another note, is there much interest in collecting pre-decimal copper halfpennies (or farthings or pennies) in the UK?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1351 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2015  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep
The market is full of them.
My tounge is mostly on the floor when I go to coin fairs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Forums