Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Gold Sovereign

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,161Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
451 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2010  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I have been looking to buy a gold sovereign minted in India in 1918. Looking at the rarity index on PCGS, there are 1000's of these coins that have been graded and therefore it is not a rare coin by any means. The catalog prices are far out of touch with the gold prices. I am unable to determine a fair price to offer for such a coin.

There is at least $330(7.9 grams at .90 purity) worth of gold in the coin. What would be a fair price to buy such a coin in MS-60 state?
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17002 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2010  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a 1918-I on my wantlist for quite some time. At the coin show that was here in Brisbane in May, I asked every dealer that dealt in foreign gold coins (there were over a dozen of them) if they had one. They all agreed it was a fairly common coin with not much of a premium, but nobody actually had one for sale there and then.

I finally found one for sale while on holiday in Sydney back in October. The dealer was asking a hefty price (AU$500!) but I figured if they really were as hard to find as my experience to date had proved, I'd better grab it, so I did.

Two days later I was in Canberra, and the coin dealer there (Canberra only has one B&M coin shop) was selling off unsold lots from a big auction they'd just had. There was a 1918-I sovereign, same condition as far as I could tell, for sale at the reserve price of AU$330.

Arrrrrgh!

I would conclude that a "fair" price for an Unc example would be somewhere between those two extremes - maybe $100 over bullion value?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2010  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It must have been such a heart breaker! What grade was the coin you bought?
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17002 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2010  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm woefully inexperienced at grading gold, especially higher grade stuff, but I'm pretty sure mine isn't Unc - there's a few too many dints and scuffs on the high points for it to qualify, in my books. I've called it AU-53.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,161Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Forums