This seller is selling an 1899 morgan for $50 on CL. I'm very leery of buying. Should I even bother to go look at it? Talked with him and he says its in AU condition. Are there a lot of fakes for that year out there? I am thinking it has to be a faker. It would have a value of over $1000 I'm sure. He seems knowledgeable of coins too.. It says its a low mint year like 300,000. Key date I think.
The 1899 is a desirable coin for the Morgan collector, but you're way too high on the pricing. An AU coin goes anywhere from $150-$250. Still, $50 is way low. I would suspect it is either a copy or a problem coin (cleaned and/or damaged). Also, the 1899 is a pricing enigma compared to most other Morgan dates/mints. There is very little difference between the grades until you reach the MS66+ range. One can pick up a nice MS63 for just $100 more than an AU coin. I would definitely want to check the coin out before locking any $$ into the deal.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use