| Author |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,004 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts |
I just wanted to put something up about Barber dimesThey are my collection that I work hardest on. But it seems to me that many people do not collect them and it is very hard to find them in nicer grades (VF and up). So I want to hear from all the other barber collectors. If there are any tips you have on them that I might not know then please share. And if you dont collect them what do you think about them? Are they nice coins?
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7123 Posts |
I don't actively collect the barber series ,, but I have a few but only high grade just as type coins and a few in mint sets where they are needed to complete the set .
I love the reverse ,,but I'm not to keen on the obverse ,,for some reason they just do not pique an interests in me like other coin series do .
Metalman
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts |
Napoleon, Welcome! I also have a few of these in my collection. I agree with Metalman - the reverse is much more attractive than the obverse (at least to me). That might be why they don't stimulate as much interest as Mercury dimes (for example). Historically, the entire Barber series interests me and I try to purchase good quality specimens whenever I see them to fill out my collection. :-)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
533 Posts |
I have been running into the same problem you are. In Atlanta, they are not all that common in the shops and are especially rare in the F and batter grades. Typically they are either G-VG and go for under $10 or are XF and up going for much much more. I don't have a solution to the problem, but when I'm back at my Parent's house (Moline, IL) I go to a shop that has a bunch in F and better grades. I usually try and buy what I can afford as these go for $12.00 and over. In face, over the holiday I grabbed a 1902, 05 and 07 just a few days ago all in VF+. Good Luck!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6326 Posts |
I like the Barber dime and have a few of them......mostly low grade though. I bought some coins from an elderly gentleman a few months ago who ran an add in the paper here in Kansas. He put together a "20th Century Coin Plaque" which included a couple of them........ I took them all out the "plaque" because it was ruining the coins, but he also showed me a binder notebook full of a lifetime of "high grade" coins. There were many Barbers of all denominations and all kinds of other coins....... which I told him I was interested in....but would have to wait for the extra money ! I don't know if someone else has beat me to this......... but in a month or so I'm going to call and see and get some !
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1173 Posts |
I like the Barber series coins...of all denominations...but seldom find them in the local coin shops in better grades. One shop has a "bucket" of low grade Barber dimes, but very little in F-EF, even in common dates. The dealer says these better circulated grades are scarce because few people saved the Barber series across the board early on, and that most coins circulated until they were well worn.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts |
I HAVE ABOUT 30---ONE IN XF+
|
| |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,004 |
|