Quote:
It doesn't matter how much money I would have to spend.
I always look for good value for money in whatever I buy.
Could be any ancient, medieval, milled or modern World coin(s), U.S. or any other country. Having a very wide vision opens the possibility to all kinds of bargains, across the whole of numismatics.
It is good to be able to consider every coin at a show, and consider the possibility of a bargain for any of them. It depends on what I am lucky enough to find.
Basically this, except I'm probably not going near many of the more exotic issues* because I couldn't distinguish one type from the other.
And in even more cases, I don't actually know what exactly "good value for money" is, so probably will end up buying many coins that aren't actually worth as much as I thought they are (common date 19th century coins in particular).
And $2k would probably be too much. I don't know what a FUN convention looks like (perhaps they don't have low-end bargain bins, and/or the people who make them know perfectly well what's in them), but from my personal experience of coin markets**, and multiplying by the sheer amount of money... unless I find something expensive that really interests me (perhaps a nice gold coin), I might well go away with several
thousand coins that day.
What I will
not buy, unless I do not have a choice, is MS coins, especially high MS coins (perhaps I might buy a few slabs just for the novelty; certainly no raw high MS, unless, again, no other choice - too many storage worries).
Though, for particularly nice-looking common types (I'm looking at you, Netherlands 1 cent***...
Mercury dimes too, and probably many others I couldn't think of immediately), nice AU (which perhaps is a technical MS) is a definite possibility (just so I could admire all the pretty details).
[I'm ignoring the question of what I'm doing in Tampa in the first place. Maybe the same nice guy got me a ticket and visa for my birthday (which is, in fact, in early January, though slightly too early for the show); would probably cost less than $2k, actually.
At least, being January, it shouldn't be too hot. I heard Florida can be very hot in seasons closer to summer.]
*) which, sadly, includes Parthian
**) and that one "coin show" in Kaliningrad that might as well have been a market
***) Numista 2584