| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,012 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts |
 Another Oriental one. These one has three Chinese characters on one side and a symbol with Chinese characters at the bottom. I se numbers, I think 45. Again anyone know what this is? Thanks
|
|
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34564 Posts |
Bumping this thread to get improved visibility. I've searched with both Google lens and the coin-o-scope app and found no good matches for either side. Using my Pleco app, I believe that the characters on the front side translate to "one yuan" and "vegetable", but that makes little sense. 
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5905 Posts |
The left image character is translated as what Spence found out from Google. One Yuan and below it Vegetable.
Right image translate to: country court 614 food cafeteria. I'm not able to determine what the 3 bracket logo stand for, but it is a food token I believe that worker can buy and trade at a discount eating in this cafeteria.
Edited by macmercury 11/12/2024 9:57 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1623 Posts |
I took an image of this coin to my local coin meeting where one of the members was able to dig up some more information. The Shanghai Mint was known as Factory 614 between 1992 and 2008. It seems this token was a meal token at the mint canteen. Here is a link to a page: https://www.sohu.com/a/148705316_654971The symbol is from "Snow Chill Coins" if that is the correct translation. It seems the link is no longer valid so maybe the company no longer exists. I'm guessing that maybe "Snow Chill Coins" minted the canteen tokens? Does make one wonder why the Shanghai Mint didn't mint its own canteen tokens. 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34564 Posts |
It's always nice to have a definitive attribution. Thx for contributing to this effort @mac and @david!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1623 Posts |
OK - Final mystery solved. The logo is not "Snow Chill Coins" but the "Peoples Bank of China" or PBoC. I assume they run the Shanghai Mint so yes, the tokens probably were minted by the Shanghai Mint. https://crypto.marketswiki.com/inde...go_small.png
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
Excellent sleuthing, David.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Well done. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5905 Posts |
I was wondering that logo from the PBoC looks familiar, you can deposit into it but good luck trying taking it out.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34564 Posts |
Here is an example up for sale in the current SARC auction: https://www.sarc.auction/SHANGHAI-P...XF_i55131983with this description: Quote: SHANGHAI: People's Republic, brass yuan, ND (ca. 1980's), cf. Zeno-307440, canteen token issued for the State Owned Factory No. 614 (Shanghai Mint), logo above name of the canteen // yi yuan / cai ("Dish [worth] one yuan"), XF.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,012 |
|