|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 8 / Views: 1,603 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts |
Good evening, I recently purchased a coin that was listed as an 1879 "Proof or Proof Die-Strike"... Now, I am a new member, so I do not think I can post photos or links yet, etc... but I have a question in general, as I believe I have heard and/or seen this before... 1. Naturally, I know what a proof is 2. Of course I am familier with PL, DMPL, etc... even as a relatively new collector. ...But this coin I got...It was listed as "Either proof or proof Die-strike"...It bugs me, because the seller is very reputable. I will fire it off for TPG review, but before I do, is there such a Morgan as one that somehow was punched with a proof die for circulation? or, did I buy an unusual coin? Or, did I buy an imparied proof? ....(Or did I get duped?!) javascript:insertsmilie('  ') Best, -Keith
|
|
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
88 Posts |
(Oh yeah, it won't take a rocket scientist to locate the coin for review number one...and number two, my investment was nominal, less than $100, so I thought it was worth a shot!
- Keith
|
|
Moderator
 United States
56855 Posts |
You can post pics. John1 
|
|
Rest in Peace
United States
10625 Posts |
It would have to be a circulated Proof to be the real deal. The reverse die for this year proof strike was never known to be used for a circulation strike. Looking at the seller's pictures I'm not seeing it as an impaired proof. You should be able to tell by the die marker in the VAM listing. http://www.vamworld.com/1879-P+VAM-31
|
|
Rest in Peace
United States
10625 Posts |
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
88 Posts |
That is indeed my coin, I knew you would find my coin!
Here is the skinny - I get it today in the mail, and I will post even better pics. I am certainly intrgigued...
You gotta love it when you pull up tracking, and it states:
July 5, 2014 , 4:47 am Arrival at Post Office ARVADA, CO 80003 Expected Delivery Day: Saturday, July 5, 2014
Yes! Looking forward to inspecting this thing!
-Keith
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
88 Posts |
I received the coin today, and here are a few points of note:
1. it is probably not but AU53 at the very most, perhaps high EF 2. It has a rim that is "raised and squared" around the perimeter, and looks nothing like a standard business strike Morgan. 3.Compared to MS and VF morgans, it looks like neither, as the surface is "glossier", there really is no word to define it. 4. I have no idea what the 2 ink blotches are on it, as it almost looks like "black polish" that is permanently adhesed to the coin. 5. The letters do not have the somewhat "bubbly" appearance of my regular Morgans; they instead seem to be actually more squared, seems like the lettering on reverse and obverse are "flatter and squarer" 6. The surface looks like silky smooth graphite 7. Weighs 26.6 grams, and passes magnet test (I am paranoid) 8. Although weak, the VF 1899-O morgan and 1904-O Morgans I compare with this one look totally different, as this coin almost has a "Cameo-Like" appearance no matter how light dark, high or low angle...Not much, but WAY different than the other VF-EF coins I am using for comparison. 9. Despite some clear cleaning efforts, the smoothness of the fields, cheek, etc...are the smoothest and most liquid I have seen. 10. I see no traditional bag marks.
...Anyway, I will have pics up later, but I am lost. I assume it is not a proof, but I cannot say why it looks so different.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
9811 Posts |
It has the appearance of a "California Proof" that was recirculated some after the treatment. See the section on whizzing to get an idea of what a "California Proof" is; http://www.pcgs.com/News/Detecting-...Coins-Part-2After the whizzing treatment through dentist drill, the coin was often dipped in a wax, which was then left on the surface of the field and removed on any raised area, a light acid based liquid is then applied to create a cameo affect then the wax is completely removed. They called them "California Proofs" because they were coming out of some coin doctor in California after discovery was made. They were so good they fools the experts at ANACS, PCGS, NGC for awhile. This coin is too circulated to be able to tell for sure, but it has that look about it, and is one of the dates that got the treatment.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013! ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1981, ANS, Early American Coppers Member (EAC), Colonial Coin Collectors Club member (C4), Conder Token Collector Club member (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS) member, Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC) & Numismatic Bibliomania Society member (NBS), USMex, Member in good standing, 2¢ variety collector. See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
88 Posts |
If this is close to any of the theories out there, this "whizzing" I just read about would be the closest decription to what I am seeing. It certainly is more "chrome" looking, but more of a milky mirror is the way I describe it, as there is no coin on the planet that should demonstrate DMPL qualities in this condition, with this toning/carbon buildup.
Thanks again, EndTheFed
|
| |
Replies: 8 / Views: 1,603 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
- Post Your Coins With Coats Of Arms, Shields, Crests, Crowns, Etc.
- Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels
- My Last Purchase: A Bronze Greek Coin Representing The Poetess Sappho
- How Many Countries Do You Have Coins From?
- How Far Back Can We Go? Ninth Edition!
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Post Your Stories & Pix Of Found Money
- 1885-Zs Mexico - 25 Centavos W/Arcing Die Crack, Tilted & Re-Punched Reverse Die
- 1934 Peace Dollar NGC MS-67+ At Auction
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- G L B 49's MS-70 Perfect Silver Coins
- ID Help - Roman Provincial Coin
- 1894 Fifty Cents - Grade This Coin. It May Or May Not Be TPG.
- 1847 Undecimo Edge Great Britain Gothic Crown, Gothic Type, NGC PF61
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
- Post Your Coins Representing The Animal Kingdom.
- Post Your Bird Coins
- Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora
- Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions
- Post Your Coins Of Steel (And Iron)!
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |